t e n

Royal

EMBER NEVER CAME BACK TO HER ROOM LAST NIGHT. It's the morning now. I couldn't find her, I went after her feeling so utterly stupid for saying that I couldn't be with her. What the fuck is wrong with me? I knew she was hurting and I made it worse. I could've let her down easy, gently, but my emotions got in the way. I didn't even want to push her way, I wanted to keep her pressed up against me forever. But my mind had begun to spin. Every little fear I've ever had came rising forward and unleashed itself on her.

The truth is, I wanted her so bad that it scared the living hell out of me. I didn't know what to do and I panicked. I'm an idiot. A complete and utter dipshit. I curse violently under my breath as I search the boat for her.

Where are you? I call. Nothing. No answer. No sense of her even being there. My heart quickens. Where the fuck is she? I am losing my gods damn mind. I thunder through the deck. I scan it excessively looking for her. I spot Logon on the quarter deck and make a bee line for him. He looks me up and down as I approach and grimaces. His nose is practically turned up at me. Snob. Sniveling piece of shi-

"What is it you need Royal," he drawls, his accent is rich and smooth as he speaks. "As you can see, I'm rather busy."

I scowl at him, "Have you seen Ember?"

He shakes his head, "No, I have not."

I growl and march away, irritated he was no use. Dirty stupid pirate-

A guttural scream sounds from below deck, Logon and I both glance at each other and go running. Logon unsheathes his sword from his belt and takes off after me. Everyone is crowded around the deck. I push my way through the men. They've all made a circle, blocking out whoever is in the middle. They all stand and watch, none moving to go and help the man screaming. Logon and I stop dead once we're at the front of the circle.

Ember is in a full on brawl with the man. She's stabbed his shoulder and continues to slash at him. Shann is standing behind her with his arms crossed, grinning like a maniac. Ember hacks and slashes at the man, he can barely fight her off. He's clutching his stomach and stumbling away from her. But she swaggers over to him.

"Why'd you do it?" She demands, Logon stops breathing beside me. His whole body is tense. A scowl is all over his face. Ah, well, he's definitely kicking us off the ship now.

I stare at Ember in a mix of horror and awe. I've never seen someone as skilled and vicious as her. Considering this man is twice her body weight and height, and she's managed to put him out on his ass? Gods save us. "She was snooping around where she shouldn't have been!" He chokes. I look over to Shann again, realizing there is someone cowering behind him. He's got a hand on them shielding them from view. I can somewhat see her blonde curls behind him. Clementine. "What is she doing?" Logon hisses in my ear. I whip my head around and stare him down, putting on my best "Shann" impression.

"That man hurt a little girl, a little girl that was hiding on your ship and scavenging for food. Instead of helping her or taking her to you, he decided to cut up her cheek." I spit, Logon's eyes widen. Shock runs through his face. Ember and Shann clearly didn't tell him. Why wouldn't they?

Logon stares at me for a beat before continuing to watch Ember.

The man seems to have found some sort of small knife, he whips it from left to right. Trying to fend her off. She simply laughs at him. It's a vicious laugh. A laugh I've never heard before. Ember rolls her neck and then jerks it to the right. Metal goes flying. Metal poles and swords circle the man, creating a tornado around him. With the flick of her wrist the metal begins to encase him. The poles shriek and boom as they bend around him. He screams in pain. The crew are as stiff as boards. Not one saying a single word. Not one defending the man. Good.