CHAPTER XXIV

And what if I, what if I sin?

And what if I, what if I break? Yeah

Then am I the monster? Yeah

SAPPHIRE

The scenic countryside flew past us in a blur. Wheat fields lined the abandoned and rundown highway. The sun shone right through the windows, making it impossible to look outside without squinting. The scene would have been beautiful but, Juliette was driving so fast I almost threw up, and I rarely get motion sick. I stretched my back and stifled a yawn. This ride was too long. I wanted to sleep, but my mind was too occupied for me to close my eyes for more than a minute. It had been hard enough to leave the cult behind, but it was tougher to think about what lay in front of me. How exactly would the pack react? Would they accept me as easily as Lionel had? Or would their reaction be similar to that of their Gamma? Or would it be something in between? Would people be repulsed by the idea of having a witch, a dangerous one, mind you, as a Luna? Would anyone accept me after what I had done? I glanced at Lionel in the shotgun seat to see if he was watching. But he had it easy. He slept, with such a peaceful look on his face I felt jealous. Why don't I get to sleep like that?

I had tried to start a conversation with Juliette, but she ignored me and kept driving. That girl was stubborn, but to be honest, I could relate.

"You know I really am sorry for the head injury..." I tried again. She gave me the silent treatment again. The lack of sound was so uncomfortable, I couldn't help but shift in my seat. A few miles passed in silence

"I am gonna live near you for the rest of my life, you can't just keep ignoring me forever." I said.

"Oh really? And why won't you run away again?" she snapped.

"This time is different." I mumbled.

She scoffed but didn't say anything for the rest of the ride.

****

"Are we there yet?" I asked craning may neck to look outside. Night had fallen and we were still driving, on the abandoned highway. I just hoped the car wouldn't breakdown, or it would be the typical horror movie scene. Creepy. The night air was cold, and seemed to whisper as it flew past. The kind of sound that gives you chills. Double creepy.

"We'll be reaching soon." Lionel assured me.

"I hate automobiles." I grumbled.

"Excuse me? Its a luxury sports car." he protested.

"Oh? Next time you take me in a car, make sure it doesn't give me a stiff back." I snapped back.

He rolled his eyes. Easy for him with the sturdy werewolf body. I huffed.

"Come on, its just two more miles." he said.

And sure enough, the road soon melted into a forested region. Huge pines rose on either side of us. I light reached us from time to time as if pulsating from a light house. It turned out to be a sentry tower.

Dread filled my stomach as the Eclipse Night Pack came into view. I should have been relieved that I would be getting off the damned car finally, but instead, a sudden desire for the road to continue forever overcame me.

Lionel turned behind and gave me a reassuring smile as if he sensed my distress.

The guards were probably forewarned of my arrival, be cause we went right in. No one stopped us, though I could feel the anger in the air. I cringed mentally. Would anyone welcome me? And Rosa, who had been kind to me, and might I add, was almost a friend... would she hate me too? The guards sized me up from the corners of their eyes as we moved deeper into the pack.

The familiar view of the pack house made my stomach drop even further. I gulped. Juliette took a sharp turn and parked in front of it. Lionel stepped out of the car, and opened my door for me. I took his hand and stepped out. My legs wobbled under me. I felt so nervous for a moment I thought I needed to vomit. The car wooshed past behind us, as Juliette drove it to who knew where.

Lionel squeezed my hand smile brightly at me.

"Its gonna be fine." he whispered.

"Okay here goes nothing." I mumbled.

****

As I stepped into the pack house, all the motion around me stopped as people turned to gawk at me. It wasn't anything new for me, but somehow I still felt queasy. My neck tingled with all the glares I received. My heart sank when I realized not even a single face held anything but loath. The Beta Michael came forward. I could just see the outline of a sneer on his features when he saw me. Lionel might have sensed my distress, his grip on my arm tightened.

"Alpha." he addressed Lionel with an excellent poker face.

Lionel nodded at him but pulled me forward towards his floor without stopping for anyone.

"Oh gods." I whispered, when we were out of earshot.

The amount of hatred in that room for me had left me woozy. My brain hurt from it. My heart drenched with shame and agony. I deserved that. Tears prickled my eyes. Lionel didn't stop, I could feel the anger radiating off him in waves. He took me right into a guest room and closed the door behind us. It was the same one I had stayed in the first time.

His face melted when he set his eyes upon me. He pulled me into a hug. I didn't protest.

"I am so sorry. It will all be okay. I promise."

But it couldn't be okay. After what I had done who would accept me? I almost killed eight members of this pack. How could they ever consider me their Luna? No one could look past what I had done. I wanted to run away right at that moment. But then there was Lionel, whose love was so pure, so unconditional, it had been able to soften even my heart. I couldn't leave him...

I am just worrying too much. I thought to myself. I gently extricated myself from his grip.

"I'll be fine. I just need some time to adjust. Its all new for me. Besides, I am used to being considered a villain." I said, trying for a smile.

"Of course." he said placing a peck on my forehead, that made my heart miss a beat.

"And I better change into something more comfortable..."

"Yeah, okay." he said leaving me alone in the room.

Okay Sapphire. You know how to deal with hostile public. just socialize and everything's gonna be okay.

****

A/N

Another short chapter.

Not quiet interesting I think.

But I have been really busy this week, I got a job interview looming over my head (fingers crossed).

So cut me some slack, I hope you understand.

See ya in the next update.

Today's question: When did you wake up today? I woke up at about 6:15 AM, I am a morning person;)

Byeee

~Cassandra