F I F T Y - O N E

Another chapter! Shit's about to go downnnnn

Sorry about the wait :( Finals are coming up so chapters may not be coming out as quickly as they were before, but I'll write whenever I have time!

Thanks for the votes and comments! You guys are the best :)

Xx alexia

The downward spiral of fear and anxiety has begun, and my heavy breathing won't cease even with Grayson's hand on my back. My mom's too busy freaking out herself to see my reaction to Evie's disappearance, but I bet I'm even more distraught than her. 

A mother always worries about her children, but as Evie's older sister, I may be worrying more about her because I know exactly who took her. I was so in my own head about the coven coming after me, that I wasn't even thinking about them coming for my loved ones. I put too much trust in Eli and Elle. I should have listened to Grayson. He's my mate, he's grown up in this supernatural world his entire life, so he knows better than anyone what they would be capable of.

Why did I let my friendship with Eli blind me so much? I believed him. I trusted him. And now my sister's life hangs in the balance. If she dies...

"Thea, take a deep breath for me," Grayson places his hands on my cheeks and breaths through his nose, coaxing me to follow his example. I do, but a sob catches in my throat and I begin sniffling once again. 

"Baby, we don't know for sure that the coven took her." He acts so confident, so sure that Evie's safe, but I can feel his emotions. I've gotten good at digging deep through the complex jumble of feelings laid before me. It was confusing at first, to feel things that aren't stemming from my own brain. I've learned how to understand it, so that's the only inkling that Mr. Alpha isn't completely sure of what he's telling me.

My anxiety goes through the roof when my mom picks up the landline and begins muttering words too low and mushed together for me to understand. However, I get the gist- she's dialing 911. I can't let her do that.

"Mom, you can't call the police," I say quickly, yanking the phone away from her trembling hands. She glares at me through glassy eyes. 

"Give me the phone, Theadora." I barely even blink at the use of my full name. I hate it, that's why I shortened it. I know she's extremely confused and angry by my actions, and hell, I would be too if I didn't understand why the police would be no help in this situation. Even through my tears, I have to somehow convince my mom that me and Grayson have it handled- well, as handled as a missing 6-year-old can be.

"I can't, Mom."

All throughout this exchange, Grayson has been pacing the living room, no doubt mindlinking several members of the pack to see if anyone knows Evie's whereabouts. I know he's mentioned that he has wolves keeping watch outside of my house at all times, so maybe he has people watching my mom and Evie. I don't know half of the things he does, but I'm grateful that he's here right now to figure out this mess.

My mom begins yelling at me, attempting to grab the phone from my hand. She has this aggressive look in her eyes that resembles a mother bear defending her young. In a rash decision, I throw the phone against the wall, hearing the crack of the plastic as it breaks apart before it even hits the ground. 

"What the actual hell, Thea? What on Earth has gotten into you! Your sister is missing, and you won't even let me call the police?" She frantically runs past me as she searches for her cellphone. I assume she's running to her purse by the front door, but in her panic she doesn't realize that it's right on the kitchen counter behind her. That should buy me a few minutes to talk to Grayson.