Chapter 4, Apologies

September 16th, 1998

Aaron's POV

I wake up extra early to ensure I have time to talk to Cassie. I feel awful about last night, and there's just no way I'm leaving it like that. After I take my shower, and get ready for the day, I leave to go to the small party store down the street. I biked there, with my fairly empty backpack.

Once I get to the store, I walk inside not knowing what I was going to get. Wait, she loves Kit Kats! I go over to the candy aisle and get two of them, then I decide to get her a bottle of water for school. Cassie never brings water to school, but drinks out of the drinking fountain all the time or steals a drink of my water. I go up to the cash register and see Holly. Holly's an older woman, with gray hair. She's worked here since Cassie and I were kids.

"Well hey there Aaron. Where's that pretty girl of your's? Cassidy I think her name is?" She asks, as she rings up my few things. Why would she think Cassie's my girl?

"Cassidy isn't my girl, she's my best friend. I'm dating a girl named Haley. Cassidy and I got into a fight, and I'm going to talk to her right after this." I say, giving her the cash for my order.

"Oh, I just assumed since you two are always together that you two were a couple. Well, chocolate definitely helps. Good luck." Holly replies, giving me my change back.

I smile and say, "Thank you!" I quickly put the few items in my backpack and bike back to Cassie's house. You got this Aaron! Just calmly explain why you're sorry. You can't lose her, she's your best friend.

As I approach Cassie's house on my bike, I see Cassie sitting on the porch. "Cassie!" I yell. She turns toward me, and rolls her eyes. Ouch, she's really mad! She gets up and starts to walk back inside, so I pedal faster. "Cassidy Mae Dylan, wait please! I want to talk." I yell again, and she stops in her tracks.

I hop off my bike, as it's still moving slowly. I run up to her, my backpack in tow, and I turn her around. "What do you want?" She states.

I look at her, and I can tell she's been crying. Her eyes are still puffy from last night, she's wearing dressier clothes, and her nose looks sore. "Have you been crying?" I ask stupidly.

"No, not at all it's not like my 'best friend' called me a bitch or anything." she says, air-quoting the best friend. I felt a ping of hurt and regret. You deserved that Buddy.

"Cassie Mae, I'm sorry. I don't know what got into me. Truly, you mean so much to me. I just wanted you to know that I'm not going to let Haley take up all of my time. You will help take up all my time too. Haley really wants to become friends with you. Before you say anything, look I know things are going to change. I just want you to know you're not losing me, there's not a chance in hell. I called you a pathetic baby who needed to quit whining and a bitch. I can't lose you Cassie. You know me better than anyone, please forgive me." I say, tearing up. I don't like showing emotions, but I couldn't help it. Even the thought of losing Cassie hurt me.