Chapter 5, New Normal

September 16th, 1998

Cassidy's POV

All of us walk into school, and everyone is noticing that I'm not beside Aaron. All our classmates see are Aaron and Haley's hands intertwined. You should try dating! Mrs. Hotchner is right. Plus, you've thought that Lucas Rivers was cute. Granted he's a true stud, a player.

I walk to my locker, and I put my umbrella on the hook. I grab out my books that I need for my first period, forgetting about where Aaron and Haley went off too. "Hey Cassidy, what happened with you and Aaron?" I hear an oh-so familiar voice say.

I can see the shadow of him in my peripheral vision, and I turn to him. "Hey Luke. Nothing happened, why do you say that?" I ask, turning to face the one and only Lucas Rivers. He's leaning against the lockers by mine, wearing jeans and a t-shirt and his letterman jacket.

"Well, you see you two have always walked in together. What's up with Haley Brooks walking in with him?" He asks. We walk in together because we're best friends and neighbors. What the hell?

I shut my locker and say, "Haley and Aaron are dating. Aaron and I are just friends, why did you put it like that?" I start walking away, and Lucas follows me.

"Oh, I always thought you two were dating or something. The way Aaron's been so overprotective of you. So you're single?" He asks in an awkward fashion. I laugh slightly, but then I really start thinking about what he said. Overprotective how? Is Aaron the reason I'm single?

"Yes Luke I'm single. Aaron and I are only friends. Plus, the only reason we ever walked in together is because we are neighbors. We drive to school together." I say, rolling my eyes in a "duh" kind of way.

I see Luke smile slightly, and I do the same. "Well then, Ms. Dylan may I take you out on a date this Saturday night?" He asks, lifting his eyebrow. Such a comedian.

"Yes, I'd love that. Pick me up at seven?" I ask, as I near my English classroom.

"Yeah! Should I be worried about Mr. Overprotective?" He asks, laughing. I lightly hit him, messing around.

Laughing at his comment I say, "No, he won't be an issue. Bye Luke." We part ways, and I walk into my English class. I notice that Aaron's already in here, and he doesn't look too happy.

I act like nothing happened outside, and take my seat next to Aaron. I grab out my things, and I see Aaron's eyes fixated at me. Why does he seem so pissed off? "Aaron." I say, in a hushed tone.