Chapter fourteen: The Marauder's Map

Harry's good mood had noticeably increased over the next few weeks. Ravenclaw flattened Hufflepuff in their Quidditch match at the end of November; which meant that Gryffindor was back in the running to win the Quidditch cup. Wood became repossessed of his maniac energy, and worked his team endlessly; no matter the shitty weather that persisted into December. Echo didn't have to walk Harry to his classes anymore, but unfortunately had to attend those many, and long practices, because Dumbledore still found the quidditch pitch to be "risky".

Two weeks before the end of the term, the sky traded a dull and depressive grey that was constant, to a dazzling white that brought glittering snow to cover the grounds; instead of the mud. The Christmas spirit filled the castle. Professor Lupin hadn't assigned any homework the past two weeks, as an 'early Christmas present.' Professor Flitwick went all out on decorating his classroom; using real, fluttering fairies that looked like shimmering lights. The students talked excitedly about their plans for the holidays. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Echo were all staying at Hogwarts. Ron asked Echo if she would stay so Harry wouldn't be alone. Echo didn't mind, she would rather stay at Hogwarts then feel like she's intruding the Weasley's Christmas.

Echo had never celebrated the holiday. So it was safe to say she was fairly new to the whole experience; that 'experience' included gift giving. When she was asked what she wanted for Christmas by Hermione, Echo internally groaned, realizing that there was a strong possibility of the others getting her gifts. Which meant she would have to gift back, and she had no clue what to get anybody.

On the Saturday morning of the Hogsmeade trip, Harry and Echo bid good-bye to the others, who were wrapped in cloaks and scarves, Neville still had Echo's scarf as he has yet to find his.

They walked up a marble staircase, Harry wanted to show Echo the Gryffindor tower.

"Psst— Harry, Echo!"

"Ha! Never thought I would whisper 'echo' before," the voice added, amused.

Echo recognized that these could only be the voices of the Weasley twins. Fred and George were peering out at them from behind a statue of a humpbacked, one-eyed witch. 

"What are you doing?" said Harry curiously. "How come you're not going to Hogsmeade?"

"We've come to give you a bit of a festive cheer before we go," said Fred, with a mysterious wink. "Come in here . . . "

Harry and Echo followed Fred and George inside an empty classroom. George closed the door quietly and then turned, beaming, looking at them both.

"Early Christmas present for you, Harry," he said.

Fred pulled a very worn piece of parchment from inside his cloak with a flourish and laid it on one the desks.

"Don't get too jealous Serpent Princess, you'll get your gift on Christmas, we promise," Fred added with a playful smirk.

Echo internally sighed. They've been using this new nickname for the past two weeks after the twins tried to prank her with a six-foot snake. The plan ultimately backfired when Echo reached out and let the snake wrap around her arm and shoulder; enjoying the warmth Echo gives off.

"This, Harry, is the secret to our success," said George, patting the parchment fondly.

"It's a wrench, giving it to you," said Fred, "but we decided last night, your need's are greater than ours."

"Anyway, we know it by heart," said George. "We bequeath it to you. We don't really need it anymore."

"And what do I need with a bit of old parchment?" said Harry.