37 | Family

"Shhh, stay in bed. I have to go to work." A voice said above me. I turned, eyes closed and heavy with sleep.

I felt the space next to me reaching for the body but it was gone. Opening my eyes I immediately squinted at the light that fled from the curtains that shaded my windows.

Dante's steps sounded light as he walked around the room gathering his things. I sat up slightly, holding the comforter tight. He looked at me with a smile on his face and pulled up his pants.

I looked to the alarm clock next to my bed and noted the time "6:00" .... yea that's a no from me. I don't have to be at work until 9.

Dante finished dressing and took careful quiet steps to where I lay. I leaned back into the comfort of the bed, a whisper of a smile on my face. He came close, leaning down. He smiled into my lips, settling them on mine without moving or opening his mouth.

"I need to brush my teeth," he whispered once he pulled away. "No real kisses this morning," he laughed and turned to grab his shirt.

I just rolled over to watch him.

I felt my eyes start to close, the need to sleep too great.

"I'll see you later." He whispered and with a final kiss to my forehead he left. Confirming it with the sound of the front door closing.

___________________________________

There was about 20 minutes left of Dante's Monday program. I had a pretty normal day this morning at work. Mari had called me on my lunch break to ask if I'd like to come over for dinner.

With her parents.

Ever since she said those words it was all I could think about. The nerves of seeing the people who I spent my whole life trying to protect were ever present.

Taking random notes here and there was the only thing keeping me distracted enough to get through this meeting. I said I'd meet Mari after this program let out, so as the clock ticked down and Dante read the summary slide, my heart beat just a bit faster.

"Thank you guys, that's all for today." He said. I watched as he turned to the desk in the room to collect his things and I turned to the table in front of me to do the same.

Picking up my small notebook and pen as well as my coat I stood from my seat. The rush of people fled the room and soon enough it was just the two of us left.

"Dinner tonight?" I heard him ask from behind me. Turning to meet his eyes I smiled back to his already casual smile.

"I can't. I'm visiting Mari and her parents for dinner at her apartment." I said nervously. He could see the apprehension in my eyes and stepped forward to circle an arm around my neck and waist. I leaned into his welcoming touch.

"I'm sure it will all go okay Amelia. If they're anything like Mari, I'm sure they're just happy to be back in your life. To see that you're alive and okay," he whispered softly. I just nodded my head in return and accepted the soft kiss he delivered to my lips.

I slipped my coat on and then my bag after Dante pulled away. He offered to drop me off and I accepted gratefully. Better than a cab fair right now, and besides... he was nice to look at.

"Text me if you'd like me to pick you up later?" Dante asks. We had just arrived in front of Mari's building.

"Okay, thank you for driving me." I said with a smile. Leaning over I watched his eyes follow my lips as they neared his own. He met me halfway bringing a hand to the back of my neck as I met my lips with his. It was quick and warm.

"Ok, I have to go." I whispered, pulling back.

Getting out of the car I moved around to the sidewalk. I watched as he gave me one last wave and drove off. I turned my attention to the apartment building behind me. Scanning the entrance I started for the door.