Prodigal Son

Still in edit.

Chapter 66

Hu-go
Furia

He was not supposed to be eavesdropping. If he was found, they would imprison him and make it difficult for his father, but he couldn't help it. This conversation had his mind engaged and his heart curious.

"I sent Lance and Nelo to get her for me, and you are telling me you think she may be dead? That's outrageous! This is not the news I expected!"

The queen's subject replied with a lowered voice, words he couldn't catch before Queen Elora burst.

"I do not care what was difficult. Elora's safety is always the priority, they were supposed to diligently watch her and nothing was supposed to hurt her, otherwise why would I send them there?"

A hushed reply again.

However, this time the queen didn't reply as quick. A loud sigh is all he heard. Then, "Have you checked with her Priestess Godmother?"

"Yes, we came from there." The other  subject was much more audible.

"What color is her heart stone? Is it still red?"

"It is purple, Your Majesty."

"That means she is really not well, then. Poor child. We need to get to her."

"My Queen, we are conscientiously waiting for word from our scouts."

"As long as her heart stone is not black, that means she is alive and that's good news. Nevertheless, I will not tolerate such negligence. Send news to Lance and Nelo to make sure she lives or it's consequences they will face." There was a thud from behind the closed door. "You make me angry! Such incompetence is unacceptable!"

"Your Majesty, we apologize!"

That was his cue to leave. He fast paced down the corridors.

Furian corridors were made of stone as the rest of the castle, and they were also known for possessing buildings that were the highest a person had ever seen. It was because of their ability to fly that they could be as adventurous.

Rarely did they have windows in their castles so as to allow sleep and any rest inside their chambers.

Furians were insomniac in nature and needed the best conditions for rest. In one night, a Furian stirred awake countlessly before rousing back to sleep. Sometimes they lacked sleep on particular nights. This was because their energy levels were balanced according to nature's.

A shift in the ecosystem, a hot sun or more animals―could be insects―than normal changed the specific level of energy in the environment and the Furian bodies would sense it, thus becoming insomniac. That is why sleeping in a different place than they normally slept at, made them sleepless and uncomfortable.

Hu-go loved to study about Furians. It made him feel close to Li Lian.

He wondered whether Li Lian was starting to get suspicious over her origins and realizing she was different. Marrying a Nevorian emperor would benefit the man a lot, he could use her blood for his heart and live longer.

There was a treaty that forbade a scarred woman to be married to a Nevorian. This protected all Furians from being taken advantage of by the empire's royal family. They could not be used for slavery and as blood sinks for the dragon since as soon as a woman in the harem was cut, it was  checked what genealogy they belonged to, whether they were of Furian heritage or not. If they did belong, they were expelled from the harem, not that Nevoria really did that for every hurt woman. The nation was too proud to follow protocols that weren't their culture's.