C H A P T E R 14

[14]

A L A S K A

Black nothingness

Black nothingness.

I felt like I had closed my eyes, although they were wide open. I heard some sounds and voices but they were faint and I couldn't make out what they were saying.

Suddenly I felt something warm around my hand and some more whispering. I only caught some glimpses of what the people were saying.

Someday. Die. No-one. Remember.

Wait, that sounds familiar. That's our friendship code. Max? Leo? Were they here?

Then the warm feeling disappeared and I heard some shouting, whereupon my head started pounding. I tried to open my eyes, or well, I tried to wake up. To escape the black hole.

After a few minutes, I eventually succeeded, lifting up my heavy eyelids.

The first thing I saw was white. The whole ceiling was covered in it, even the small lamp that was hanging there. When I tried to sit up, I felt my head pounding harder and I couldn't help the small whimper that escaped my lips. In the blink of an eye, I felt the warmth around my hands again.

I glanced to my right to see Leo looking at me with concerned eyes and on my right was Max, trying to control his anger since he was still glaring at something at the door. When I raised my head, I spotted my oh-so lovely family. The assholes were glaring at me while their mother was giving me a sympathetic, yet somewhat sheepish smile.

I looked back to Leo, since Max wouldn't be able to answer my question right now, and asked him what happened.

"Well, what do you remember?" he asked, hesitance clearly audible.

What do I remember?

Well, I went home after school, made my homework, then I heard some noises and got frightened, so I walked downstairs and. . . oh.

I felt my chest tighten as the memories flooded my mind. Tears stung in my eyes and the heart monitor started beeping frantically. I saw Leo's lips move, but I couldn't focus on what he was saying. It became hard to get oxygen into my lungs and I felt like someone was choking me, preventing me from breathing.

It's ironical, really. I mean, I kill and torture people without a second thought, with a passion, and I am an assassin - a very dangerous one - but one hand touching me somewhere it shouldn't, and I become the most vulnerable person on earth.

All of a sudden Max cupped my cheeks and forced me to look at him before he smashed his lips onto mine. Slowly the beeping slowed down, just like my heartbeat. I closed my eyes and focused on his lips to forget about the memories. After some time, we broke the contact and he pinched my nose.