chapter thirty six

"They're back!" Anakin called out sarcastically after running out ahead towards the sound of incoming fire. Oh how I wished he wouldn't do that.

A half hour.

That's all the peace we'd managed to get after pushing back the first wave. Just enough time for Obi wan to land and our men to set up the heavy cannons.

"I told you this victory was to easy, we never should've sent the ship back for supplies." Obi wan retorted with confidence after inning over to stand by Anakin. I ran over last and stood just behind the two men trying to catch sight of the incoming droids beyond.

"It wasn't my idea to send the ship back." Anakin replied with an irritation I'm quite sure master Kenobi had grown used to. I sighed and stepped between them before the conversation diverted any further.

"Gentlemen please, this is hardly the time for point scoring." I spoke up with a calm aura though my words were mostly directed to Anakin. He seemed to get the message and took a half step back while Obi wan raised an impressed brow.

"Quite right, alright men, second wave incoming." Obj wan spoke up, turning to commander Cody as he did so.

I couldn't deny my heart was racing a little, we'd managed to catch them by surprise the first time and the battle was relatively easy. Now we lacked air support since we'd swapped fighters from ground units so this battle was likely to be a lot more up close and personal.

"Rex you and your men follow me." Anakin spoke up before running off, and I must say I was a little insulted he didn't consult with me before leaving. Though that was typical Anakin behaviour, always on the move.

"Cody, battle positions." Obi wan spoke just after before walking away leaving me and Dice the last pair the run off into this battle. I sighed and shook my head lightly, they should've at least talked strategy first. Maybe this is why the council assigned me to the 501st, to bring some planning into my husband to be's rushed decisions.

"And us general?" Dice asked from behind me while I stared ahead with a calculated gaze, observing the incoming droids for a few moments then checking the nearby area again.

"Concentrate heavy cannon fire on the hoards approaching down the Main Street-though be mind to watch out for Skywalker, he seemed to be planning his own assault around that area. The rest of us will split off and take out the small units undoubtably trying to infiltrate from the side allies." I commanded with a level of understanding and authority that surprised even myself. Seemed I was adapting better than I'd thought I would to life on the battlefield.

"Yes ma'am!" Captain Dice responded with a salute before pivoting round and relaying my words to the clones behind who swiftly ran  off in separate directions. "The men will be waiting at the ally entrance, anything else we need?" He asked while looking back my way as I saw Anakin jumped from the roof in the distance followed by a number of clones. I smiled to myself while stood their watching him, feeling prideful at the skill and attentiveness he showed.

"...mm, no I think we're covered," I spoke in a far to casual response before finally turning round and setting my thoughts back on the mission. "Alright, let's move out!" I declared while pulling my saber off my belt, running towards the ally where sure enough the others where waiting.

As I ran out ahead I ignited the crystal blue blade and began deflecting fire precisely back. I'd spoken to the squad earlier about how I'd act as a shield to protect them so they could all just focus on making a clean shot. The tactic appeared to be working as well, its a good thing I can move pretty fast though I must admit this is tiring!

Stepping from brick to brick scattered across the floor I swung my saber back forth, left and right, holding in firm with both my hands as each blaster bolt deflected off and often right back into the droid that shot it. I was a little nervous when I first dashed into this battle, but these battle droids really are as dumb as Anakin made out. I really thought he'd been exaggerating.