18I McDonald's

My dad shuffled slightly in his chair as I shifted further back, getting as comfortable as possible. This talk was bound to be awkward and I didn't particularly want to go the entire time just itching to move positions.

"Gabby," my dad sighed, looking my straight in the eye with raw dejection playing across his face. "I'm so sorry. Really. And even if you had genuinely not done your homework, I shouldn't have acted like that anyway. I had no right to be that mad in any scenario."

Guilt swam in my dad's eyes, so much so that I couldn't help but feel bad. Yes, he should have apologised for what he did, and yes, it was clear he overreacted, but I wasn't about to hold a grudge. Other than this slight display of anger, I had no reason not to trust my family, and his apology only solidified that.

"Seriously, dad. It's fine."

I had never been one to hold grudges. Especially when it came to those I loved. I had experienced first hand just how cruel this world could be, and I wasn't about to give up on my only family because they overreacted slightly to something.

"You say that. But it's not. That's why I promise I'll make it up to you," my dad sighed, staring me straight in the eyes as to prove he was going to keep his promise.

"You don't have t-"

"I want to. You deserve so much more than just a feeble apology," my dad said, and I didn't doubt what he said for a second.

"Well then, thank you," I smiled at him gently. Once my dad set his mind on something, there was no way you could talk him out of it.

"You have nothing to thank me for bambin-"

Before my dad could finish his sentence, we were interrupted by the door being flung open, slamming against the wall and causing me to flinch.

My head whipped around to see what the disturbance was about, and I was met with the sight of a muscular man who looked to be in his thirties, wearing a suit with sweat dripping down his forehead. "Sir!" he exclaimed, barely even seeming to acknowledge my presence, "Some of our shipment has been sto-"

It was only when my dad cut the man off with a loud clear of his throat that the stranger stopped, seemingly to finally notice me.

"Oh I'm sorry, sir. I didn't realise she was here," the man immediately apologised with wide eyes, his gaze flickering between my dad and I.

"It's OK," my dad nodded, his face set in a cold expression. "But I'll have a word with you now in private."

The man quickly nodded, murmuring a small, 'yes'. It looked like the verbal response rule applied to everyone.

"Gabby. I've asked Ace to take you clothes shopping so I'll talk to you later, OK?" my dad asked me gently.

"Sure," I smiled, earning an apologitic grin from my dad.

"Thanks bambina. See you later."

REUNITED

Ace and I had travelled around ten different shops, of which I tried not to buy anything each time. However, my brother being my brother, he decided it would have been a good idea to choose my clothes for me since he found me being too stubborn, so in the end I just decided to let it go.

At Victoria Secret, it had become apparent that Ace felt too awkward to go in with me, so I went in alone. He gave me $200 with which I only spent $50. Even that was too much for me.

Afterwards, seeing that it had already been two hours, Ace had suggested going to McDonald's, which I had to say was somewhere I had never been before.