𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐦𝐞 𝐈 |𝐄𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐈𝐈

𝐁𝐲 ↠  CaptainSai

N/n: Nickname 

(Y/n) stared at her reflection in the mirror. Her hair was coiled up in a beautiful hairdo fit for a princess, elegant gold hair pieces placed strategically to beautify her further. On her forehead bloomed blood red petals while her cheeks were dabbed a pretty pale pink and her lips a healthy red. Red and gold covered her person, the heavily embroidered dress exalting her entire being. Yet, as dazzling as she looked, her eyes— red and watery— told a different story.

Today was the day she would transform from a girl to a woman, a day of mourning as she said goodbye to her paternal home and a day marking the beginning of another life. Yet, to her, it was simply the beginning of the end, of lifelong mourning and silent suffering, as her heart ached for not her husband-to-be, but for a different man altogether.

He was— wild, boisterous— his eyes had always held the most gentle look whenever he gazed upon her. He had so remorselessly stolen her heart, and had the audacity to claim she did the same to him. So why... why was she marrying a stranger, and not him?

(Y/n) let out a strangled laugh, once again on the verge of breaking down in tears. Society and its people, tradition and the norm that was to be followed— it was all of these that formed the ocean that separated them. She hailed from a wealthy, scholarly family, while he was just a farmer's boy. Fate had already decided they weren't meant to be.

_______

"When I grow up and become rich like your father, I will marry you (N/n)! So remember that and don't go fall in love with someone else!" a boy exclaimed, sporting a wide grin as he hung from a tree upside down, resembling a naughty monkey.

She had quietly giggled at his antics, although her heart had skipped a beat or two at his words.

________

"I-I bought this for you," the youth, now in his teens stated, a rare look of shyness in his face as he offered her a simple bracelet made of red and orange threads, three little flowers decorating it. His cheeks flushed pink as she let him tie it around her wrist.

"Wear this till the day we marry. That day, I'll give you something much better."

She had smiled at his promise, shyly daring to run her hand through his silky strands of black hair.

"All right," she said as she nodded, "I will eagerly wait for that day."

A beautiful grin bloomed on his face as he quickly placed a faint kiss on her forehead, his breath quickening and his heart thumping hard.

________

"One day, we will live in a place of our own! I'll earn enough money for us, so all you'll have to do is look after our children, although I will try my best to help you with that too, but there's no guarantee I'll be a good father, hehe," he said with a laugh, lying flat on his back as he gazed upon the beautiful stars above.

But his eyes were more beautiful, she had thought in that moment, the way they reflected the beauty of the universe.

________

Was she a fool to have believed in his promises? Was it her mere naivety that was causing this suffering? All she'll become is a ghost in the end, her heart hollow and devoid of love. 

For how long would her future husband tolerate her, anyway?

"Yan Xi, you liar..." she gritted out his name, anger and pain swirling in the depths of her heart, as she stared longingly at the worn out bracelet around her wrist. A strangled breath left her mouth as she gasped for air, her nose tingling familiarly as she tried to put a stop to the onslaught of tears that was threatening to break free.

"Yes, I know (N/n), I'm such a liar."

The young woman's body stilled, her eyes wide with disbelief. She slowly looked up, only to meet his gentle black eyes reflected on her mirror. Slowly she turned around, fear gripping her heart.

Was it just her mind playing tricks— a cruel illusion— or was he really...?

Yan Xi gazed back at her warmly, the smile tugging his lips causing her heart to ache with its memories.

"...What happened to your eye?"

"Oh this?" he pointed at his bruised right eye, the tan skin having turned black and blue.

"Brother Shu punched me when he found out..." he answered with a sheepish look on his face.

A beat of silence passed as the two looked at one another. The black haired male sighed softly, his gaze nervous, yet gentle.

"(N/n)... I can't promise you riches or a comfortable life. You deserve the best in this world— I am not worthy of you. But... what I can offer you is my love, and it will always be pure. I cannot buy you gold and jade, but I can offer you three meals a day, and a roof over your head. So (N/n), if you are willing to make this risky decision, I promise I'll hold your hand every step of the way," he finished, daring to look up into her watery eyes.

She blinked, and hot tears rolled down her rouged cheeks.

"When did I ever say you alone weren't enough?" she whispered, her voice cracking as her hand stretched out to him, offering her heart to him once more.

His eyes widened in surprise, before a gentleness that only a lover could conjure up seeped into his gaze. He was soon at her side, engulfing her in his arms.

"(N/n), please think carefully. I won't let you go after this. You'll be mine forever, for good or for worse."

"You idiot. I was always yours to begin with."

A deep laugh rumbled through his chest at her words, unrestrained and warm.

"Then, my dear, it's time to escape," he declared with a wild grin, his eyes smiling in clear delight.

Before she could blink, he carried her up in his strong arms, before making his way to the open window which had admitted him to her room a moment ago.

(Y/n) looked down at the ground beneath, but her heart didn't leap in fear. Instead, she buried her face in his chest.

"I'm entrusting my life to you, Yan Xi. So I'd appreciate it if you didn't break my bones, and yours too, preferably."

A boisterous laugh left Yan Xi's mouth as he jumped from the building, (Y/n) cocooned protectively in his arms.

They landed a moment later, the young woman feeling nothing but a soft thud, and before she knew it, Yan Xi was carrying her away, from her home, from her birthplace, from her nest.

"See? My bones are strong, (n/n)! I'll protect ya, so don't worry!"

The wind ruffled his dark hair as he ran on, his lips hooked up into his familiar grin. She looked up at him, at his eyes, that looked so alive.

Why him? Why had she fallen in love with him, of all people?

Because...

Yan Xi was brave, and Yan Xi was as bright as the sun itself. He was enthusiastic, for life and all that it held, and he was unrestrained, letting her be herself and a little more.

And so, so kind.

Even when they will grow old and don heads of grey and white hair, (Y/n) knew she would still be in love with him, and all that he was, with her whole heart.

Yan Xi looked down for a moment, catching her stare. With a grin, he kissed her forehead, and this time, it wasn't faint, but full of passion and promises to be fulfilled.

She smiled.

Yes, this was indeed the beginning of her new life, and certainly not a day of mourning.