NINE

CHAPTER NINE
' IT   THAT   BAD ? '

Eddie dozed in a chair, one of her legs bouncing as she swivelled in the seat. Her eyes were half shut as she let out a content breath. Vanya sat a few distances away from her as Allison brushed out Klaus' hair. Eddie lifted a bottle to her lips, letting the bitter substance fall down her throat with a sigh.

'I mean, who does he think he is?' Allison sighed, glaring at the mirror that sat before her. Eddie rolled her head, sitting up and crossing her legs as she tilted her head. Eddie placed the bottle on the side while pulling her tie loose, undoing her first few buttons. She ran her hands through her hair as she rolled her shoulders.

She met Klaus and Allison's eyes in the mirror as she blinked for a moment. They flickered to Vanya, who also had her eyes on her. They all swallowed thickly. Eddie raised an eyebrow, as they all simultaneously coughed, reverting their eyes. Eddie let out a forceful breath of air through her nose as she took a sip from the bottle.

'The nerve! I mean, one thing goes wrong, and suddenly, he's on a warpath,' Allison continued, shaking her head. 'I mean, 'Doesn't know exactly who I am?' No, no, no, Ray. You know exactly who I am. You just can't handle it. I'm protecting him.' Eddie sighed, taking another swig, and a rather large one at that. Allison hit Klaus with a hairbrush.

'Ow,' he complained. 'Protect him from what?'

'The end of the world, for one,' Allison replied as if it were obvious.

'Does the world really end in six days?' Vanya chimed in, hesitance filling her tone.

'So our dear old Five says,' Eddie sighed out, shrugging. Vanya furrowed her eyebrows. 'Last time, we tried all we could to stop an apocalypse with seemingly no cause or catalyst. Turns out, technically, we were the catalysts. Funny old world, eh?' She smirked.

Silence filled the room for a moment before Klaus spoke up. 'Hey, wouldn't it be weird if Five grew up all hot?' Eddie blinked blankly for a moment.

'Ew, Klaus!' Allison scolded.

Eddie let out a piece of laughter. 'Sweet Home Alabama!' she sang into her bottle as she sniggered to herself.

'Yeah! You and Luther were making lovesick moon-doe eyes at each other all through puberty and breakfasts and all that!' Klaus added.

Vanya furrowed her eyebrows. 'Aren't we all like brothers and sisters or-'

'Well, technically.' Allison looked away.

'Anytime you have to say, 'It's not incest, technically' that's not great, Alison.' Eddie tutted sarcastically. Klaus let out a burst of laughter.

'Okay, can we focus? I mean, clearly, we're not saving the world tonight. But maybe, maybe we could at least try to save my marriage,' Allison tried.

Klaus let out a giggle, pouring more alcohol into his cup. 'No, because that's like, that's like asking a nun how to hump someone's leg.' Eddie blinked, averting her eyes as she took a sip of her drink.

'I mean, no one in this room knows anything about relationships.' Klaus continued. He pointed at Vanya, 'Her? She's enjoying an affair with some farm Frau...' he paused, tilting his head as he pursed his lips. 'Which is an improvement on her previous love interest, you know, the serial killer with an obsession with us.'

Vanya's head whipped around. 'Wait, what?'

'And I'm still pinning for a soldier... I haven't technically met yet. And Luther is in love with his sister.'

'We're not biologically related!' Allison tried to defend herself. All eyes fell on Eddie who swivelled in her chair, staring out of the window absentmindedly.

'What about you, Ed? Found anyone who tickled your fancy?' Klaus asked.

Her head turned to look at him with a furrow of her eyebrows. 'I don't understand.'

'Ever looked at someone and thought, Jesus, I would smash that?'

A small grimace pulled on her features as she shook her head. 'Why would- that's-' She shivered, grimacing.

'Or lock eyes with someone and your stomach does flips, or your head goes blank?' Allison continued.

Eddie furrowed her eyebrows before shaking her head. 'Is that bad?' she questioned after a moment. Her voice was quiet and soft.

'Of course not.' Allison shook her head, smiling softly.

Eddie did not move for a moment before nodding. 'Okay.'