» 52 «

"Good evening, children," Dumbledore began, silence immediately falling over the Great Hall when students stopped the conversations they had to listen to him. "Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We are pleased to welcome back professor Grubbly-Plank who'll be taking care of magical creatures while professor Hagrid is on temporary leave."

I furrowed my brows, confused where he was off to and saw Harry do the same at the other table.

"We also wish to welcome our new defence against the dark arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge." My eyes fell on the lady dressed in complete pink, and I giggled at the contrast between her and Snape.

"When will they finally give that position to Snape, the poor man has had his eye on it for as long as I can remember," Wren said with a laugh, making sure to be as quiet as she could.

I shook my head, a smile on my lips as well. "They probably haven't for our sake, let's not jinx it, huh?" Wren nodded, amused.

The sound of a small, yet irritating giggle had my attention snap back to the front of the room, where Professor Umbridge sat with a wide smile on her face. It couldn't look faker if she tried.

The sound irritated me, and I scrunched up my nose at it. I diverted my attention back onto Dumbledore as he continued speaking.

"And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the Professor's good luck." There was a small pause. "As usual, our caretaker Mr Filch has asked me to remind you-"

He didn't get to finish his sentence, the lady in pink interrupting him by clearing her throat; even then her voice was way too high pitched.

Wren noticed my ever-growing distaste in the woman and raised her eyebrows at me. "I don't trust anyone who wears this much pink," She whispered, and I nodded.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

She stood up, making her way to stand next to Dumbledore, the whole room watching her in confusion.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me." From what I could tell, there wasn't a single student with a smile on their face.

"I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends."

I heard the twins mumble a "That's likely," loud enough for most people in their proximity to hear, and I couldn't help the smile on my face at how much it irritated the woman.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although, each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school," She gave Dumbledore a long smile and a nod, which he mirrored. Even he seemed confused by what was going on.

"Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved. Perfect what can be perfected. And prune practises that ought to be prohibited." She ends her speech with another giggle before going back to her chair, a satisfied smile on her lips.

Dumbledore started clapping, and it took a while before the rest of the hall did the same. Then, he continued his own speech.

I was hardly listening. It was pretty much the same things every year; he just mixed up the order of what he was announcing, really.

My eyes wandered around the Slytherin table, trying to find something more interesting to focus on other than Dumbledore. They lingered on Malfoy; only because he was already looking at me, though. Or was he?

He was sitting a few seats down, on the opposite side of me. From his perspective, the Headmaster was standing right behind me, so it could very well be that he was simply looking at him.

It was when I rolled my eyes, and he furrowed his brows in response that I knew his attention was on me. I didn't break the eye contact afterwards, making sure he knows he doesn't intimidate me.

His stupid glares, the narrowed eyes that might have that effect on first years, they definitely didn't faze me anymore. He seemed irritated when he realised, and then just broke the eye contact and continued listening to our Headmaster.

✧·゚: *✧·゚:*

We were all back in our common rooms now, but it was a little early to go to bed.

Wren and I were sitting on one of the dark leather couches in front of the fireplace, talking about this and that while enjoying the comfortable warmth the fire radiated.

"Finally the Ministry is bringing order to Hogwarts, I was almost certain this school was a lost cause," I heard a voice say, and my attention shifted onto the blonde boy who took a seat with Blaise on the opposite couch.

He didn't even bother telling the third year's who were sitting on it to leave; they did automatically. I rolled my eyes.

"You can't be serious?" I snickered, and both Blaise and him turned their heads towards me.

"What is it, Potter? Scared that that scar-face of a brother of yours is finally getting what's coming to him?" He said with a smirk, seemingly proud of the comeback.

I took a deep breath, trying to compose myself. "And what would that be?" I asked, my teeth gritted as I watched his smirk turn into a full-on laugh.

"Azkaban, at best," He laughed. "But the ministry's eyes on that lunatic's every move is a start, I guess."

Well, there goes my composure. "You're best to just shut your mouth, Malfoy, before I make you," I snapped, eyes narrowed and so angry I didn't even notice what my sentence could've implied to everyone else.

"Is that a threat?" He asks, that annoying smirk back on his face. That annoyingly handsome smirk. Why did it have to look like that? Why did he have to look like that?

"It's a promise."

A/N: JOE MF BIDEN RLLY DID IT YALL!!