15. EVERYONE I LOVE DIES

| CHAPTER FIFTEEN |

EVERYONE I LOVE DIES.

SIRIUS STAYED BY ECHO'S SIDE from as soon as she returned back home. Everywhere she was, he was close behind (if not right besides her). Her injuries were healing slowly, but her body still felt weak and so Sirius did everything in his power to make her feel as comfortable as she could. He changed her bandages, cooked her food and brought it up to her bedroom, stayed besides her whenever she wanted him to (which was always), he even carried her up and down the stairs (knowing that apparation was making her injuries hurt more and not wanting to risk it). 

Echo truly felt more than thankful. She hated being a burden on people but Sirius reassured her every single day that she wasn't being one. That he actually enjoyed spending so much time with her (even though he would've enjoyed it much more if she wasn't in pain). 

Echo laid on her bed, her eyes softly looking up at the ceiling. Sirius had left her alone for a few minutes as he went down to prepare some food for them and every so often, the black haired woman heard something falling in the kitchen before Sirius' booming voice echoed through the house, yelling at the house-elf. 

However, when another loud sound came from downstairs – one that wasn't followed by Sirius' screams – Echo couldn't help but worry. She groaned in pain as she sat up, ready to make her way downstairs to see what was going on, but, before she could even stand up off her bed, Sirius burst right into her room, one plate in his hand, his hair dishevelled and eyes completely blinded by worry.

Echo felt her heart racing, "What's going on?" She questioned, panic lacing her voice. She watched as he placed the plate onto her bedside table, "Siri?"

"I've got to go," He breathed out in a rushed voice, finally turning his grey eyes to look at her, "Harry needs me. I need to go."

"I-Is it safe?" The black haired woman asked, worrying that someone could spot him, that he could get sent back to Azkaban and this time, with absolutely no chances of ever escaping. 

"Not for him," Sirius told her, rushing over to her side and dropping down to his knees, "I- I can't let anything happen to him," The man told her, placing his hand on her knee. He couldn't let the fifteen year old boy die. His Godson. His dead best friend's only child. 

Echo felt completely torn. She didn't want Harry to die (or even to be in danger) but she didn't want to lose Sirius as well. If the young boy was in any sort of danger, it was the Order's job to find him and save him and even though Sirius was part of the Order, he was also still on the run, "What if I go instead?" She suddenly asked, catching Sirius by surprise as she grabbed his wrist when he went to stand up.

He shook his head, "No, no, no," He repeated the words a few times, "You're still injured. I-I wouldn't be able to li-live with myself if something else happens to y-you," Sirius told her, his voice full of raw emotions.

"But---"

"No," He cut her off, tears now slipping from his eyes, "I need to do this."

Echo didn't feel hungry anymore, instead, she felt completely and utterly sick with fear. The tears stung her eyes before finally falling down her cheeks, and without hesitation, Sirius reached up to wipe them away.

"I-I don't want anything to happen to you," She cried out, "E-Everyone I love dies."

Sirius felt his heart breaking at the look on Echo's face. He had never seen her look so mentally defeated and weak. But he also couldn't let her words slip past him, 'everyone I love dies'. He touched her cheeks, feeling the wetness from her tears, "I love you, Echo Bennett."

Echo's eyes widened as they connected with his, her heart hammering violently against her rib cage, "I love you too, Sirius Black," Her hands reaching up to touch his (which were still on her face, bringing her comfort), "Please, stay safe," She pleaded.

Sirius nodded, leaning down to rest his forehead on hers, "I promise."