8: Chinese Food

Persephone sipped her coffee, research about all the other teams in the Bladebreaker's division pulled up on her laptop screen. She had wanted to check on Ray when she woke up, but he had already left the hotel. Since they had the day off in between matches, she figured he needed some space and time to himself after losing his bitbeast the night before. Kenny had left to check out some of the beyblade shops in town, and Max and Tyson had made it their mission to find Ray to comfort him. Persephone tried to tell them to give him space, but their worry for their teammate was stronger than her reasoning.

Kai emerged from the bedroom, his hair damp from showering as he leaned over the counter facing where she sat perched on a stool.

"Hey," she said, not taking her eyes of the screen, "Sleep okay?"

The tension from the day before had eased significantly, and Persephone was doing her best to be friendly with her team captain. She considered the other members of her team her friends. There was no doubt about it, but there was definitely a disconnect between them and Kai. She had made it her goal to be the glue that held this team together. Maybe if she got closer with Kai, she could convince him to make nice with the rest of the team.

Besides, Tyson's antics, as funny as they were, could be a bit exhausting from time to time. Kai was more calming to be around. Even if it made Persephone a bit nervous to be around someone so, well, grumpy, when he was in a good mood, she had had a good time hanging out with him. He seemed to be the lone wolf of the group anyways so maybe it would benefit him to have a friend. Well, if he wanted a friend.

"Yeah," he said, seeming to hesitate before speaking again, "Are you hungry?"

Persephone looked over at him, a bit shocked by the question. Kai tended to respond to her in short answers, but never seem to bother to ask her anything.

Thinking for a second, she responded, "uh yeah kinda. Are you?"

"Yeah... do you maybe wanna grab some food?" he said, not meeting her gaze.

Persephone's breath caught in her throat. Kai was inviting her to hang out? It felt like hell had frozen over.

Maybe he feels guilty about what happened yesterday?

"Yeah sure. I think the buffet downstairs is serving lunch now. It's almost eleven," she said, closing her laptop.

She decided to trust his intentions, even if they remained a mystery to her.

"I was actually thinking we could go grab something from town. That buffet is shitty anyways."

Persephone could've sworn he seemed a bit nervous. Why was he so nervous about grabbing food with his teammate.

"Yeah sure. That sounds fun," she said, hopping off her stool.

Kai nodded, leading her out the door and into the streets of China once more.

----

Kai and Persephone had decided on a traditional Chinese restaurant, settling down into a booth in the corner of the restaurant. After what happened last time they explored China together, Kai stuck close to Persephone's side, determined not to lose her in a crowd again. Luckily, no such crowd crossed their path, and they made it to the restaurant with no trouble.

He looked up at the girl sitting across from him, her dark locks falling and framing her face, her mouth formed the words of the menu silently as she read through it. Kai couldn't remember a time where he went out to eat with anyone, let alone a girl. He wasn't even sure what gave him the idea to invite her out in the first place. Leaving her alone in a hotel with the opposing team ready to cause them trouble at every turn didn't sit right with him.