Chapter 53

Tonks and I spent the rest of our time together catching up. She was quite interested to hear about my crazy year and I was interested to hear about her Auror stories. The rest of the Weasley and Hermione ended up joining Bill, Molly, and Harry a little while later. For some reason none of the Weasley's joined us, and Molly kept shooting me dirty looks while Fred kept winking at me.

"What's her problem?" Tonks asks noticing Molly's face.

"I don't know." I sigh, feeling a little disappointed.

"I bet she saw the Daily Prophet. Probably thinks your dating both her sons like I did." Tonks bursts into giggles, eyeing Molly wearily before waving to Bill.

"Shut it Nymphadora," I snap while her laughter dies away and her hair turns bright red.

"Don't call me Nymphadora." Her deadly expression is enough for me to realize why she's an Auror.

"Will champions please follow Mr. Bagman down to the stadium!" Cornelius Fudge calls out, saving me from Tonks' fury.

"Good luck Eva," she says her hair purple again, and a smile on her lips.

It takes me a second to recover from Tonks' mood change; I give her one last hug before following Bagman and the other champions down to the maze. The walk seems quicker than last time, unfortunately for me. The hedges are now two times the size of when we saw they last and look even more terrifying. The stands start to fill as Professor McGonagall comes over to us.

"If the maze gets too difficult send red sparks in the air and one of us will come collect you, do you understand?"

We all nod as Bagman starts announcing. "Ladies and gentlemen the final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin! Let me remind you how the points currently stand! Tied in first place, with eighty five points is Cedric Diggory and Harry Potter of Hogwarts! In second is Victor Krum of Durmstrang with eighty points! Third is Eva Black of Hogwarts and last Fleur Delacour of Beauxbatons!"

There are cheers for each person's name. "Now Cedric, Harry on my whistle. One....two.....three!" Bagman let's out a loud whistle and the two boys run off into the maze with the hedges growing shut behind them. My heart starts to pound rapidly as the three of us wait for Bagman's next whistle.

"Victor. One.....two.....three!" Bagman let's out another loud whistle and Victor follows the other boys into the maze. My hands start to feel clammy and my heart doesn't slow. It's my turn next.

It feels like years and milliseconds at the same time passing by. Finally, I'm next. "Eva. One....two.....three!" At the whistle I take off into the maze at full speed not bothering to watch the hedges close behind me. I run forward until I can't anymore and take a right. I can hear noises of creatures and the hedges moving but nothing attacks me yet. I keep running until I reach a dead end. I stop and let myself catch my breath, my pants getting loud and ragged. My heartbeat slowly flushes out of my ear and that's when I hear it.

The hedges vines snap towards me and catch my leg. I let out a cry before yelling "Stupefy!" But it wasn't enough another vine grabbed my leg again and my torso. I let out a few more curses and start to run. But it's as if all the hedges were only out for me. I am only able to make it a few feet before another vine grabs my arm. This time I able to rip myself out and keep going.

Red sparks fly through the air but I don't let it distract me. The vines seem more furious and several more grab different parts of my body, making me frozen. My wand arm is still slightly free and I take the chance to cast a spell.

"Confringo!"

The hedges scream in pain and immediately pull away from me. I take off again shouting the spell every few seconds at the hedges making sure none of them can get to me. As I turn the corner I run right into a skrewts.