NINE

"Why are you fidgeting like that?"

Caroline's humored voice wafted up the stairs, and I paused on the top step. My hand gripped the old, ornately carved banister as I bounced on the tips of my toes in my heels. I stared down at my feet, reassessing my outfit for the fifth time as I waited to hear more.

Bren had been really vague about what we were doing on our date, and I hadn't been sure how to dress. I didn't have many clothes, but luckily there were a few things in my suitcase that I knew Bren liked. And so that's what I wore. Well, I had to add some tights and a slouchy sweater to the ensemble so that I didn't freeze, but I hoped he'd still like it.

Bren's low voice caught my attention, mumbling something that I couldn't make out.

"I don't know why you're nervous," Caroline laughed lightly. "That girl is gonna be happy no matter where you take her or what you do, Bren."

I smiled, pleased that Caroline could see the truth and that she was trying to convince Bren of it, too.

Bren muttered some more, and I still couldn't tell what he was saying. I shouldn't eavesdrop, but I was reluctant to interrupt their conversation. It sounded like Caroline had some things that Bren needed to hear.

"The first thing I noticed when you knocked on my door earlier this week was that you were the happiest I'd ever seen you, Bren. Now look at you. Stop pushing that happiness away because you think you don't deserve it."

I took two more steps down the stairs. And this time, I heard him.

"I'm trying, Car. Why do you think I wanted tonight with her? She is my happiness. I never meant to push her away." He sighed. "I'm trying."

There was a risk that I'd start crying if I waited any longer. So I quickly walked down the rest of the stairs, trying to be loud so they'd know I was coming. And then I strode into the kitchen where Caroline and Bren were sitting.

"I'm ready!" I announced cheerfully, hoping that my smile could make Bren smile.

It worked. Or something worked. Because Bren stood with a cocked grin on his face, brown eyes wandering over me and making me feel things. I couldn't help but do the same thing, taking in the all-black outfit that somehow made him stand out even though I knew that was the opposite of why he wore it.

"Have a good night, you two!" Caroline said, and with that, she snuck out of the room.

It was just me. And Bren.

He shoved his hands in his pockets and took slow, measured steps toward me. "I love that dress."

For some reason, my cheeks warmed. "I thought you maybe did."

His uneven smile grew. "What gave it away?" Bren closed the distance between us and reached out, grabbing me by the waist to tug my body close. Then he loosened his grip and trailed his fingers along the seam of my dress.