ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕋𝕨𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕪 𝔼𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥

Nothing turned me off more than a ghost just chilling on my couch like she owned the place. Her eyes were closed and she rested her head back against the cushions like she was asleep.

Ghosts didn't sleep. They didn't need to. So her acting like she was sleeping on my couch was nothing but that - an act. While normally I'd ask what happened, when it happened, and if there was anything they needed me to do personally before they crossed over, I didn't particularly care for the woman pretending to be snoozing on my couch.

My guess was that she died pretty recently, or I would have heard something about it from someone. Since I got home, my phone was silent. I ate dinner, showered, and was almost ready for bed when I realized that I forgot to grab some water for the night, and that was when I saw her on my couch.

Her eyes opened and she glared at me like I was the one interrupting her daily routine.

"Vampire bitch," she said.

"Werewolf Karen," I replied.

I didn't know her name, but I remembered her pretty clearly from the last pack meeting. She was the one who felt it'd be funny to call me a blood sucking leech.

I can't say I was sad she was dead. I was, however, annoyed that I'd have to deal with her until she decided to cross over. Well, unless I got a mage to put a protection spell against ghosts on my door, or if I could force her soul to move on without having to deal with her.

"My name isn't Karen," she scoffed. "It's Beverly."

"Yes," I said, nodding, "because that's better."

Her eyes narrowed further and I wondered if she could see. Maybe the pure hatred she felt towards me defeated all odds and she could see through that tiny slit between her eyelids.

I went and grabbed a bottle of water. "Does Lucian know you're dead?"

Her eyes softened and she turned her head away. "Yes, he does. It happened a few minutes ago."

I raised an eyebrow. "And...who killed you?"

She rolled her eyes. "You think I know that?"

I wondered if anyone I knew had any contacts for a mage. I sure as hell wasn't dealing with her for longer than I had to.

"I mean," I shrugged, "I'd like to think I'd pinpoint some key features of said murderer, since you literally could have followed him."

She looked like she hadn't thought of that, and I sighed heavily.

I really didn't want to deal with Lucian yet, so I pulled out my phone and texted Kyler instead.

Me: Kyler? I have a bit of a problem and you can't tell Lucian.

It took only seconds for a reply.

Kyler: What's up?

I left Beverly in my living room and went to my bedroom.

Me: I have a ghost in my house.

I sat down on my bed, and the moment I did, Beverly drifted through the wall.

"Get the hell out of my room or I will force your soul to pass on," I threatened.

She sighed heavily and left.

I could force souls to pass on, but that was not only unpleasant for the soul, it also sucked the life out of me. So I preferred not to do it unless absolutely necessary.

Kyler: A...ghost?

I nodded like he had the ability to see me.

Me: Specifically Beverly.

I watched the chat bubble appear, then disappear. When it reappeared again, he only sent three words.

Kyler: Be right there.

He was there in pretty decent time, his eyes moving around my house like maybe he could see Beverly. Funny thing was, his gaze passed over her three times before his eyes came to rest on me.

I opened the door further and let him inside.

"You called Kyler instead of Lucian?" She scoffed. Again. "You realize Lucian is the alpha, don't you? I know you know next to shit about a pack's workings, but even an imbecile knows the alpha is the top."

I turned towards her as I shut my door. "If you do not shut up, I swear."

If I told her why I had Kyler there instead of Lucian, she would have had a conniption fit. I could hear it in my head, her telling me that he wouldn't stoop so low as to have sex with the likes of me.

I thought the same. In the beginning.

Kyler chuckled. "If I didn't believe she was really here before, I do now."

Beverly rolled her eyes and sat down.

"So." I crossed my arms. "Why are you still here? Do you want me to pass along a message or find your killer?"

Kyler - bless his heart - looked at the exact spot I did. If I could have passed him my powers for that moment, I would have. He would have known the best way to deal with her, which I surely did not. I didn't like the woman before she died.

"I want you to tell Lucian that a blood sucking piece of shit killed me," she hissed. "One of your kind."

I told Kyler what she said, and he pulled out his phone and messaged Lucian.

"And?" I motioned for her to continue.

"And he said something before he killed me." At least she was being cooperative. "About you."

When my body stiffened, Kyler reached out and touched my shoulder. If he felt emotions like Lucian said he could, the fear that slid down my spine would have been enough for worry.

"And what did he say about me?" I moved closer to Kyler, pressing back against his touch. He moved behind me and pulled me fully back against him.

Beverly's face twisted into something that resembled disgust when she saw the movement. Werewolves touched a lot, but maybe it was different when they touched someone not of their kind.

"He said you needed to mind your own business," she said. "That a half vampire has no reason to be meddling in the affairs of werewolves and full vampires."

I mumbled what she said to Kyler.

"Also," she smiled, "he said if he hears that you are still helping find Jason and Selene, your fate will be worse than mine. And my body is by the river...well, most of my body is by the river. The rest is at the bottom."

Then she completely disappeared from my couch, saying what she needed to before she moved on. It was quick, and I wasn't able to ask any more questions, but for some reason, I felt like I wouldn't be able to raise her from the grave and ask her.

I once again told Kyler what she said. "But...she's gone now."

Kyler turned me around so that I faced him before he pulled me into his arms. He buried his face in my hair and just held me.

"Do you need me here tonight," he finally asked. "I need to tell Lucian about what was said, especially where her body is located. But I can stay."

I was uncomfortable staying home alone after hearing that the killer threatened to do worse to me if I continued to help. But I couldn't expect Kyler to stay. He didn't owe me anything, and I didn't have a right to ask.

I finally pulled out of his grasp and smiled up at him. "I'll be okay. Thank you though."

His blue eyes narrowed. "You're not a good liar, Nova. I'm staying."

To be honest, I wasn't even mad.