Chapter 21 - The Morning After

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

"Psst. Saiph..."

Saiph woke up for a start, on the washroom floor, with someone shaking her shoulder lightly.

"Saiph!"

Saiph turned her head and saw Ahsoka. Her eyes were filled with worry as she looked down at her friend on the hard floored surface.

"Ahsoka?" Saiph mumbled quietly, the light was blinding her her from their habituated time of darkness, "What are you doing here?"

"I came looking for you." Ahsoka helped lifting Saiph off the floor and onto her feet. "You were not at breakfast this morning."

"...I wasn't?"

"You weren't, or at lunch either. Speaking of which, it's 17:00." Ahsoka said, both hands landing on Saiph's shoulders. The two girls looked at each other. Ahsoka scanned her dear friend's face, she looked extremely exhausted.

"How are you feeling?" Ahsoka asked sincerely, Saiph's eyes moved away from her friend's.

Terrible. I didn't do enough. I do not wish to be here and I do not want to see anyone.

Ahsoka sadly smiled in recognition of her feelings. The question had swallowed Saiph's voice.

"It's been decided that the funeral is going to be tonight." Ahsoka mentioned gently, she didn't want to cause a ruckus, but it was information that needed to be known.

Saiph nodded quietly and turned to the mirror. She looked at her face. Her eyes were red and puffy, eyes glossy from the tears.

"I look like a mess."  Saiph mumbled, wiping a hand down her face, then turning to the sink and had the water turned on. Waiting for it to heat up, she caught her Ahsoka's eye looking at her in the mirror.

"What is it?" She asked.

"I'm just thinking..." Ahsoka responded, her arms crossed as she leaned against the wall.

"Are you going to be training today?" Saiph asked, the water was warm enough and she splashed her face a few times, the grabbed some soap.

"It's been cancelled, Anakin isn't feeling up to it today. The council called to see him for preparations."

There was a few minutes of silence as Saiph rubbed her hands together on the bar of soap and applied it to her face. She felt the bubbles foam on her skin, then slip away as she washed her face. The soap slightly stung the red under her eyes, the salt in her tears had made it raw. After she grabbed a towel and dried her face, she turned to Ahsoka again.

"Can I be of any use in anything?"

Ahsoka shook her head, "It's the masters that are doing this, besides- you need to eat something. You need your strength today."

I needed strength last night.

Ahsoka turned and walked out of the washroom to go to the drawer next to the bed, pulling out some grey robes. "Here, put these on." She said as she tossed them to saiph.