Chapter 25: Iced Watermelon and a Firework

Gu YuMian was gentle and indisputable, and his favorite stories were the plainest and complete ones, which always had a happy ending.

“A long time ago, there was a little brown bear,” Gu YuMian sat cross-legged on the picnic cloth, little Tangyuan and the little snow leopard were each holding one of his arms, feeling the cool mountain wind on a summer evening. “He forgot to take an umbrella on a rainy day in summer, so he walked in the forest for a long time, looking for a mushroom or a large lotus leaf to use as shelter from the rain.”

This story explained how that little brown bear met a little rabbit, little yellow duck, and other little friends who were also taking shelter from the rain. They found a small wooden house in the forest together, where an old grandfather lived.

The grandpa gave them big lotus leaves to keep out of the rain, warm towels to dry off, and cookies and hot milk to eat. He read them storybooks, and several days after the rain stopped, the little brown bear and his friends would go to accompany the grandpa every day. But one day, the grandpa disappeared.

“It turns out that Grandpa went to visit friends in the city and met a truck. He…” Gu YuMian momentarily paused. “Later, the old man got tired of the city and went back to the cabin in the forest. At this time, the little brown bear made an umbrella out of the lotus leaf given by the old man. They all learned to bake cookies and waited for the old man to come back.”

The baby panda was lying in Gu YuMian’s arms and burping with his fluffy white stomach exposed. At this time, he looked at Gu YuMian blankly and sincerely, then patted his head again, as though trying to remember something. The little snow leopard opened his eyes, stretched out his paws and pressed them on the corner of Gu YuMian’s eyes, and was held and kissed by Gu YuMian.

“See the big bear?” Gu YuMian looked up into the sky with the two cubs. “Well, see the Big Dipper? Those seven stars? Doesn’t it look like a spoon?”

Seven stars dotted the sky, and if one drew a line to connect the stars, it would really look like a spoon. It was like it was scooping up the night and trying to be careful. The long tail of the snow leopard glided lazily over Gu YuMian’s ear, and the baby panda lay contentedly in Gu YuMian’s arms.

——It was the first visual angle of little Tangyuan. The audience’s sense of smell, hearing, and touch was magnified several times on this quiet summer night. Stars decorated the midsummer sky, and the bonfire beside the lake crackled and sparked.

The comfort and satisfaction of being full of food and drink, gently surrounded by their closest person, lying barefoot under the stars, chatting. The cicadas sounded out in long chirps, the tip of the nose could smell the grass, the soil and feel the moisture which belonged only to the summer night on this mountain.

Because the panda was half-lying down, he could feel the clean, tender, and moist grass with his feet from time to time, which was a little itchy and novel touch.

Gu YuMian’s fingers had been caressing his back and pressed on his joints gently, like warm water flowing gently, to eliminate the tiredness accumulated in the whole day. He was speaking many words in a low, sweet voice.

It was really lovely to be accompanied, lying on the grass at the top of the mountain on a summer night, chatting and watching the stars. What’s more, Gu YuMian was so gentle and reassuring that the summer heat had disappeared, the panic and uneasiness had settled down, and the long cicada chirps gave a kind of dream-like happiness.