chapter eight

THINGS WITH GREYSON go from being easy to being complicated, back to being easy and then it gets twisted up again, making it impossible to know where we stand. One second I'm sure that things are platonic, but then, I wonder if maybe we were in a different world if they'd be different. He says things are fine, but his body language says something else. The way he drums his fingers, distracting me from being able to focus on anything else.

I don't get too long to think about it before I'm distracted by something else. A grin spreading cross my lips when I spot her blonde hair, scrambling out of Greyson's Jeep the moment he pulls into park. My excitement growing by the second of being with my best friend once again. It being nearly three weeks since I last saw her.

"Vee!" I run across the sidewalk until I'm met by her firm embrace. She wraps her arms tightly around my waist as I hold on to her, having missed her more than I thought possible. A groan falling from my lips as I turn my head in the crook of her neck. "I've missed you."

She hums happily as she sways with me. "I missed you too, Robby."

I pull back, running my hands along her arms until the palm of my hand scraps the rough metal on her finger. A small gasp falling from my lips as I pull her hand up, taking note to the white gold engagement ring on her finger. The oval centerpiece surrounded by smaller diamonds, leaf like diamonds branching out and into the thin band. It's beautiful, and Stevie's.

My best friend is engaged.

"When?"

"We got it this morning." She grins before tucking her hands into the front pockets of her jeans. "He wanted to do a custom ring, but this one was so perfect and it was already my size. It felt right."

"And you still haven't told your brothers."

She lifts her right hand and points at me. "I told Isaac."

"Okay, tell the one brother that is far enough away that he can't threaten Felix," I say teasingly and lean into her. "You have to tell them."

"And I will!" She brushes me off when Greyson finally joins us on the sidewalk outside Stevie and Felix's apartment. The perfect distance between Berkeley and the San Francisco Academy of the Arts. "Hi Grey." She approaches him, wrapping her arms around his waist as Felix steps out of their building.

"Hey Robby," he say, resting his hand on my arm before crossing his arms over his chest, his brown hair longer and tousled but his smile is as charming as ever. The same boyish grin that won Stevie over two years ago.

"Hey," I say and move to wrap my arms around him. "Congratulations."

"Thank you," he hums happily, hugging me tightly before we're alerted by the sound of shutting car doors. I turn my head and see Riker, Stevie's second oldest brother and his fiancée, Lena, both too smart for their own good sometimes, getting out of their car. They attend Stanford, pre-med and pre-law, respectively.

"There she is!" Riker grins and Stevie turns to greet him, embracing him tightly as a gasp falls from Lena's lips. The same surprised gasp that fell from my lips when I felt the ring.

"You're engaged!"

I press my lips together as I bring my hands up, holding them together in front of my lips when the words register with Greyson and Riker. They meet each other's gaze before looking at Stevie, who has a guilty smile on her lips before holding her hands out.

"Surprise!" She nervously laughs.

"When did this happen?" Riker asks, reaching for her hand to get a better look.

"Did you even ask?" Greyson turns his attention to Felix, and I immediately slap his arm.

"Your sister is not property!"