Chapter Four

Later that evening, Lucy stood alone on a wide stone balcony, looking out over Eleos in a daze. It was the first time in hours that she had managed to catch a moment alone.

During the celebration in the courtyard, Lucy and her friends had been introduced to so many people that her mind was swimming with names and faces.

Everyone had wanted to meet them – to meet the kids who were so powerful, that they had managed to break open not one, but all of the gates back into Eleos.

As much as she was thankful for their kindness and enthusiasm, all she had wanted to do was find a nice, quiet spot to clear her mind. Crowds made her nervous at the best of times, but a crowd whose attention was focused completely on her and her friends was far too much.

Now though, with the gift of the night air brushing against her face and the gentle hum of people talking comfortably together inside, Lucy felt at ease.

It was impossible for everyone who had come back to Eleos to stay in the castle, so most had decided to return to their old homes to begin the task of cleaning up.

Even now, Lucy could see people moving from building to building on the streets below, lanterns in hand to light their way. She could see people exchanging goods amidst joyous laughter, and children running between them, their giggles echoing across the city.

Warm, flickering light could be seen from cottage windows – broken or otherwise, and the smell of delicious meals wafted along on the breeze. The city was alive, and the air practically tingled with bliss.

Lucy's heart thudded in her chest, swelling with pride that they were at least a part of the reason why so many wonderfully happy people were now going about their lives in a home they had missed for so long.

There was only one small thing that chipped away at that joy, and that was knowing that her parents would not be here to see it.

"Do not be sad, child."

Lucy spun around to face Cora, who stood only a few steps away.

"I'm sorry," Cora said. "I didn't mean to frighten you." She spoke slowly, her voice smooth and comforting.

Lucy took a deep breath. "No, no, it's fine."

Cora smiled. "You were thinking of your parents, just now?"

Lucy nodded sadly.

Cora crossed the balcony to stand beside Lucy, facing out to look over the city. "They were wonderful young people, your parents. And strong. Very strong." Her eyes drifted over the world in front of them. "The things your mother could do with the power." She smiled and turned her gaze on Lucy. "She was quite amazing. You remind me of her, although you do look a lot like your father."

Lucy looked out into the night sky, trying to picture her parents when they were young. The pain in her chest throbbed and she reached up to press her hand against it. "I miss them so much," she whispered.

Cora gently took Lucy's hands in hers. "I know you do," she replied. "But you must remember that they will always be with you. Even now, they are watching over you, and they are so very proud."

Lucy thought back to the last time she saw her parents, before they had both disappeared into the night. Although it had been sad to say goodbye, her parents were happy in that moment.

"And they still are," Cora said, answering Lucy's thoughts.

"How do you know for sure?" Lucy asked.

Cora smiled at Lucy in a way that made her eyes twinkle with mischief. "I have my ways."

Lucy smiled back, unable to resist Cora's intoxicating presence and wondering how someone who had seemed so intimidating at first, someone who held all of the wisdom of this world within her, could suddenly feel so familiar?