18 | SHOCK INDUCER

EIGHT YEARS AGO

EIGHT YEARS AGO

The door opens and Lily walks into our apartment.

Our apartment.

Ever since Jesse moved out to move to Switzerland, Lily and I made plans for her to move in. Jesse doesn't know about the pregnancy since he left too soon for us to tell him. Elliot does.

So do our parents.

My Mom is supportive. She wasn't too pleased about it, but in true Mom fashion, she has rendered us her unending support and even helped us tell Dad.

My Dad isn't too fond of a baby out of wedlock, but he's come around.

Especially because of how good Mom is at convincing him and how good Lily is at convincing everyone that we're going to be fine.

Lily's Mom was shocked and didn't say anything for a full four minutes. She asked us question after question and I could definitely tell that Lily was her daughter with the way we were cross-examined.

Lily's Dad on the other hand, wasn't pleased at all. He still hasn't come around, but then again, he has his own problems and he isn't even in the country to deal with it all. He gave us a pretty stern lecture on the use of protection and then said that he wasted his time even mentioning it because we were already deep in a mess. He wasn't fond of Lily's idea to keep the baby, either, but again, he isn't here to deal with it.

Lily wants the baby and if Lily wants it, that's what will happen.

I'm glad that Lily wanted to keep the baby.

Especially because I love looking over at her, seated in our apartment. When I come home, she's there, waiting for me. When she comes home, I'm here, waiting for her.

Every single day, I wake up and she's there.

Lily's nerves have been going haywire ever since the pregnancy hormones kicked in, but she gets a pass because of all the magic that she's doing inside of her.

I'm making dinner for her.

Lily has been constantly craving fried rice, so I'm making it for her.

Strangely, she's been enjoying French fries mixed into the fried rice. I told her once that it's blasphemy and she responded by shoveling a huge spoonful of French fries fried rice into her mouth.

So, now, I make fried rice, I make French fries and I mix it just for her so that I don't have to eat it, even though it doesn't taste that bad at all.

"Hey, angel," I tell her.

"Hi, Marco," she sings to me, dropping her bag on to the table.

She's wearing a loose-fitting blouse that flares out. Her baby bump has started to grow and now that she's four months in, it's showing.