43. Capo Was Shot!

___________________

.

.

.

Dr. River Johnson stared at the two packages that Mateo had sent her last week. She knew it was a laptop and a phone, but she wasn't going to open it.

Yes, she was petty. Sue her!

The day after Mateo and the rest of the members of the Mafia left, River had woken up with renewed irritation. The night before she was too tired to be annoyed by the tone Mateo had used on her but after a good night of sleep, one that wasn't even interrupted by her dear daughter, she woke up, her fiercely independent ass feeling extremely miffed with the dude for his audacity.

So she waited all day for him to call and apologize but he didn't. Alessia called. Adam called. But Mateo Adesso didn't find it necessary to call.

For two days he didn't call, and then the next day she found out that the Capo was calling the housekeeper, Janet, to know the whereabouts of her and their children. That was the last straw.

River really didn't know what his problem was but if he was under the impression that he could just take off without any explanation while she was stuck in a ranch in a place, she wasn't familiar with, he was in for a shock.

She had made up her mind to go back to New York with the kids at first. But as always, her motherly concern weighed down on her reckless pig-headedness.

So with great disappointment, she was staying. And she was angry and annoyed at her baby daddy.

And hence, when the package came a week ago, she refused to open it. But with the kids back to studying and having nothing else to do from nine to three were starting to weaken the surgeon's resolve.

She could take the gadgets and have some fun with it right? Check her emails and see how the little drama at the hospital turned out. She was positive that both the gadgets must be encrypted and hence untraceable.

River had never had such a long vacation before and she was starting to hate it. Sitting idle just wasn't for her.

The doctor was perched on the seat built onto the window and just enjoying the view.

The kids and their tutor, Nancy Davidson, were sitting on a picnic mat on the spacious lawn up front. The middle-aged woman was super good at what she did. Even Lucas enjoyed the classes, and that was saying something!

"Mrs. Adesso!!" Linda, one of the young maids who believed that the doctor was actually married to Mateo, hurried in.

Thankfully, these people did not have the time to have full-blown conversations with the kids and they never brought up Mateo being their dad. She was eternally grateful for that, because when the time came, she wanted to be the one to tell them first. She didn't want them to know from any other sources. And yet, she was deterring her chances.

"Yeah?"

"Mr. Smith called. Capo was shot!"

Capo was shot!

Mr. Smith called. Capo was shot!

Shot!

River's hand flew to her mouth as she took a deep breath to prevent the tears from falling.

She looked down and rubbed her eyes and then finally said, "The kids... The kids shouldn't know. Yet."

Linda nodded with pitiful eyes, moving forward to give River a hug. Linda was a very friendly and emotional and she was around the doctor's age, a bit younger, so they had formed a friendship through these past few days. Though she did keep a lot of things from the maid. Well, it wasn't like they were best of friends and River Johnson just couldn't bring herself to trust anyone.