Chapter 47

January 1, 2010

According to Draco's watch, the hour now approached one in the morning, but he doubted even a well-brewed Sleeping Draught could dull his energy. They'd just returned from his mother's New Year's gala and Hermione had already disappeared into her bedroom to change into comfy pajamas, while Draco dithered behind her, still in his dress robes and cloak.

Crookshanks peered up at him through one yellow eye from an armchair. Go on then, are you waiting for a formal invitation? You're already dressed the part.

Draco finally followed her into the bedroom and saw she'd only made it as far as hanging her velvet, midnight-blue cloak in the closet. He leant against the doorway and cleared his throat to get her attention.

"Are you quite tired?" he asked.

"Not quite, I've still got that party adrenaline. I'll fix some tea, see if that might make us a bit sleepier."

Draco bit his lip and carded an anxious hand through his hair. "Do you think instead we could take a walk?"

She stared back at him for a few moments. "Now?"

Draco nodded.

"It's... rather late, no? And I think it's snowing."

Of course she would make this more difficult than it needed to be.

He offered a soft smile, one he only tried to deploy when he wanted to get his way.

"Please? I think it'd be nice to clear our heads after the boorishness of the evening. It was rather unbearable this year without Theo and I could do with some fresh air. Besides, doesn't it just warm your girlish, sentimental heart to take a wintry stroll with a charming and well-dressed gentleman not even an hour into the new year? Who knows when you'll get this chance at such a romantic setting again?"

Hermione rolled her eyes, but Draco could tell she was on the verge of breaking, so he laid it on even thicker.

"Think of it Granger, the snow's falling lightly on our hair, the streets are deserted, we're the only people out and about, the stars are twinkling above us as we ring in the new year with a brisk chill in our lungs, but kept warm by our affection for one another."

She finally broke and snorted. "Good lord, who are you and what have you done with the man who wouldn't even hang a stocking on the fireplace with me because it was, and I quote, 'not a proper place to stick old socks, I don't care how traditional this is for Christmas.'"

He ignored her barb and terrible impersonation of his voice and grinned when she re-donned her cloak.

"Thank you for humoring me," Draco said once they'd made it down her front steps. It was indeed snowing and Hermione cast a Warming Charm over both of them. She looked up expectantly at him and Draco canted his head down the street.

"Let's head this way, give the café a night time visit."

Hermione tucked her arm through Draco's elbow. "If you're craving a scone, I hate to tell you this, but I'm fairly certain they're closed at the moment."

"I told you Granger, I just fancied a walk is all. Your acquiescence is appreciated. Your cheek, as usual, is not."

She chuckled and nudged him lightly. "Liar."

They walked in companionable silence until they reached the familiar destination of their weekday morning rendezvous. Draco brought them to a stop in front of the darkened windows, and his determined and solemn reflection stared back, even as his pulse quickened. Hermione unwound her arm from his and approached the windows to peer inside.