(17)

Tw: Drug use

Kenma's POV

Kuroo and I ended up at the cafe by my house, and apparently by his. I didn't have money on me though but he insisted he'd buy me a hot chocolate anyways. I felt sort indebted by taking his money but he assured me it was fine and that he wanted to.

"Is it good?" He asked once we'd gotten our orders. I nodded my head and continued to sip the hot drink. Again that stupid nervousness was back, it hadn't left since Kuroo met with me at the ice skating rink. I've always been an awkward person but I was never really nervous around Kuroo, what happened last night to change that? "Are you ok?"

"Huh?" I didn't exactly hear what he said, I was a little distracted.

"You look sort of red, did you get a fever?" Now that he mentioned it my face did feel a bit hot, I guess I could've gotten a fever I was walking around without a jacket earlier. On our walk to the cafe Kuroo gave me his jacket, he said his long sleeve shirt was warm enough although I doubt it. I had short sleeves though and I was freezing so I took it.

"I'm fine." By the time we got to the cafe it was already becoming dark, we took a long detour through the park beforehand, and I didn't exactly know what to do know. I defiantly didn't want to go home since she'd still be there, but I didn't really want to bother Kuroo with housing me after he paid for my drink, gave me his jacket, and stuck around me all day.

"Hey Kenma can I ask you something?" I looked away form my drink and up at Kuroo, I only noticed now but his face was pretty red too. Maybe we both got fevers? "What would you think about-" He was cut off by my phone ringing. I look at the caller ID, Mei, otherwise known as my mom. I just stared at the phone while it rung not really wanting to answer it, however, I knew I'd be worse off if I didn't. So I slowly hit the accept button and put my phone up to my ear.

"Hello?" I asked quietly.

"When will you be home Kozume? Are you still practicing?" Her voice was calm, nothing like it was previously, she almost talked like a normal mother, almost.

"I'm still practicing." I lied, I noticed Kuroo looked at me a bit confused probably because I defiantly wasn't still practicing.

"I'm going to leave at 11, can I see you home before then? I don't want to be the bad guy here but I never get to see you." Of course she'd play the lonely mother card. Acting like she doesn't have other kids living with her boyfriend somewhere she could so easily run off to. Honestly I'd prefer if both my parents just left, it'd be easier then her desperately trying to cling onto me.

"Ok." I wanted so badly to say no but I knew I'd be seeing her again in a few days. Unlike before there wasn't two weeks between visits anymore, no time for her to forget what I said or did the previous time. It'd be better if I just went along with it.

"Thank you Kozume, see you later."

"Bye." I hung up the phone and laid my head on my arms, which rested on the cafe table.

"What happened?" Kuroo's voice was very different then my moms. She acted like she cared and she put on a fake voice of concern but when Kuroo spoke to me it didn't feel fake. He actually was concerned.

"I need to be home before 11." I didn't lift my head up from the table once, doing my best to hide the worry that I'm sure was leaking into my expression.

"Kenma." I mumbled into my arm as a response. "Kenma." He said again causing me to lift my head to look at him.

"What?"

"Call me if something happens, I'll come get you."

I stood outside my apartment door at nine pm knowing fully well that she'd still be in there, yet still hoping she had left already. Slowly I creaked the door open and made my way into the small house, taking my shoes off as I entered. She was still sitting on the couch but this time hunched over and writing something on a small piece of paper.