21. Busted

~ Kriss Darcy ~

~ Kriss Darcy ~

Jamie grinned with delight as the kitten climbed up onto her shoulder, its tiny claws gripping her blue sweater

"I still can't believe you found that in a plastic bag," Sophie said, shaking her head. "What are the odds?"

"I know!" Jamie gently pushed the kitten off of her shoulder, placing it down in her lap. "And it didn't even cost me anything!"

"Well, the other things weren't too cheap..."

Sophie and I had held back, holding our breaths, ready to flee if Jamie pulled a rat out of the plastic bag. We were both speechless and shocked when Jamie gave a little bounce of joy and pulled out a tiny gray kitten instead.

Its fur was matted and covered with dirt, and it stank, but Jamie was cooing at the kitten, before going on a ten-minute long rant about how cruel the world was and what kind of psychopath would just leave a tiny kitten in a plastic bag outside of the pet store.

Jamie gave us her wallet and asked us to buy supplies for the kitten while she stayed outside to watch it. Sophie, having had a cat herself when she was younger, knew exactly what we needed and took charge in the store. We came out pushing a full shopping cart, complete with a bag of toys.

The thing I was worried about was how we're going to get the kitten - and all the supplies - into the house without Mother, Mrs. Green, or Mr. Abrams noticing. Not to mention Cordelia, who would sooner rat us out than keep it a secret.

She has her puppy - Royce or whatever its name is. Why shouldn't Jamie have a kitten, even if Mother's allergic?

Jamie cooed at the kitten, which was trying to climb back onto her shoulder. "No, little cat," Jamie said. "Your nails are too sharp to be doing that."

"The kitten needs a bath," Sophie said. "Badly."

"I know that," Jamie said. "It needs a name too, because I'm not calling it little cat or kitten for the rest of its life. It's going to grow up, and then it won't be little or a kitten anymore," she frowned. "Oh, that's so sad!"