37

Obviously Dream had fallen asleep at some point because when he woke up he was in bed. His clothing still damp. He sat up and glared at the wet patch where he had been laying. His sweatshirt was freezing and clung to him like a second skin. He slowly sat up.

He looked around the room in a hazy confusion. Feeling too tired to stand. What was going on? He couldn't tell. Everything was slightly blurry. He felt too hot but too cold at the same time. There were too many conflicting feelings. He just wanted to go back to sleep. He'd been fine while he was sleeping? Why couldn't he stay that way?

He felt another shiver run down his spine. He flopped down in the bed despite it also being damp and rolled onto his side, trying to ignore the sun that peeked through the curtains of the window. He heard the door creak open and slowly raised his foggy head, narrowing his eyes at the figure. 'Focus'  he growled mentally.

He gave up and stared at the figure blankly. There was something bright overtop of it's head and it had something large white and what appeared to be fluffy behind him. Was it a cat? No. It wasn't. It couldn't be. He couldn't push away his disappointment.

There was something soothingly familiar about it, but he couldn't help but feel apprehensive and nervous.

" Dream... Dream? You're awake, right?" The voice held laughter. Dream recognized it and relaxed and squinted at George.

" Wh- yeah. " He said. George approached him.

" Come on, let's go eat breakfast. " He hummed, hopping over to the door. Dream sat up and the entire blurry world swayed. He sat there for a moment and gave a shaky puff, standing up with the help of the wall.

George was already halfway down the stairs when Dream had staggered to the doorway. Everything ached. Not in a super painful way, but it was definitely annoying. His head spun and he could barely see what was at the bottom of the stairs. His fuzzy surroundings seemed to sharpen ever so slightly.

He spotted Eret, his vision finally coming back into focus. Eret had obviously spotted him too because he'd shot up from his chair with a concerned look. George had jumped and turned, his eyes widening at Dream's appearance. Dream guessed he hadn't been able to see him too well through his blanket.

Eret was suddenly in front of the imp, scaring the shit out of him. " Holy- My- good- when did you get here?? " Dream choked out with wide eyes.

" Are you okay? You don't look so good. " Eret said as he examined the blonde. Dream's ears drooped forwards.

" Dream? Dude. You're totally sick. Come on, go back to your room. " Eret said as he ushered him back the way he came.

" What nooo I can't get sick unless I eat human food. What are you talking about? " Dream groaned. He obviously wasn't sick. He wasn't praying to the porcelain gods so he assumed he was fine.

Dream jumped both out of his mind and out of shock when Eret's freezing hand touched his forehead, sending chills through him.

" I can't tell whether you're running a fever or not, you are naturally a fucking lava pit. " Dream simply glared. He was confused out of his mind.

" I can't get sick and I can't double die so it's probably not a big deal. " He protested as George sat down beside him.

" I don't know, Dream. You're obviously sick. " Eret shot back as he walked out of the room, mumbling. Dream sighed.

George shook his head. " You're definitely running a fever, I can feel  the heat radiating off of you. But.. That shouldn't be possible right? I mean come on, you got hit by a car and you were perfectly fine. And then you got... " George trailed off with a distant, calculating look. He just stared blankly at Dream.

Dream blinked and shrank back, feeling slightly intimidated. " You don't think.. " George started and then cut himself off again, furrowing his eyebrows. Dream tugged at the heavy blanket and wrapped it around himself, looking at George with tired eyes.

" Why didn't you attack back, huh? You probably could've easily taken a human. " George asked. Dream wanted to shake his head, but he feared he would make his headache worse.

" I-... I don't know. You're right. I could've easily taken them, but I just... I didn't have it in me... I felt so... powerless there. " He stammered. He thought for a moment. He'd never even considered attacking back. That would've been his first instinct for him in hell.

He shrugged. George wrapped him up in a hug and he stopped shivering, taking in his warmth. He jumped when Eret the room again and handed him a glass of water.

He stared into it for a moment before taking a sip and putting it down on the bedside table.

" Right, well hopefully being dead contributes to healing faster. " George said. Dream thought for a moment.

" Well, when you die and go to hell you remain with those injuries, so maybe not. " He said. " There were plenty of people with large gashes and open wounds. " He continued. " Those ones never heal. "

George's eyebrows raised and he nodded.

" And because you were born in hell, you are perfectly unscathed. " Eret commented. Dream nodded, wincing.

He slowly sunk down in the bed, back to laying down.

" So you've never been sick before?" George asked curiously. Dream shook his head.

" No, not really. Not unless you count after I ate cereal. " He said before coughing. He seemed startled at the action.

" Am I dying? " He asked with a vexed expression. " All the characters in movies start doing.. Whatever I was doing before dying. " He said worriedly. Eret and George both chuckled softly.

" No, Dream. You're not dying. You just coughed. It's not a big deal. " George responded, patting Dream's shoulder.

Dream shut his eyes tight and groaned. " I'm tired. " He whined. George nodded in understanding.

" Then Eret and I will leave. " He said, standing up.

" But I'm never going to fall asleep like this. " Dream wailed, dragging his hands over his face.

" Trust me, you'll be out like a light in no time. " Eret said as he walked out the door. George turned and gave him a small wave of goodbye before closing the door gently behind him. Dream closed his eyes again.

Was he broken?

What was happening to him?

Why was he getting weaker?

AJhbdas Hi y'all!

Just out of curiosity, any of y'all have theories? 

I am very tired :')

I also made this a tad longer than I initially thought it was. 

But, I mean, oh well. 

Thanks for sticking around!

Love y'all!

Moony <3