Chapter Eight

Today everyone was coming back. It was early on Friday morning and you were making pancakes for you and Bucky when both of your phones had a message. You read it out, the avengers would be back in an hour, you were so excited. You and Bucky had spent two days decorating the tower and you'd been busy planning the party.

After you'd eaten you went to the medical bay to grab anything that someone might need before heading down to where the jet would land. Soon enough, you heard the jet above you and quickly let go of Bucky's hand as it landed down. Nat was the first to leave the jet, she waved at you. You noticed a bruise to her face. Everyone else came off next, there were no noticeable wounds so you sighed with relief. Nat came over, "I want to know everything," she said. 

After lunch and catching up on details of the mission. You promised Nat that she and Wanda could come to your room to get ready for the Halloween party. Since all three of you were going in matching costumes. 

-------------

You had taken over five hours to get ready but it was worth it. You had gold eyeliner with your make-up which was soft pastels. "You look so beautiful," said Nat, "No wonder Barnes can't keep his eyes off you," you laughed.  She linked your arm as you three girls stood in the elevator. The party had started half an hour ago but as Nat liked to call it, you were fashionably late. The elevator doors opened to reveal the first floor of the tower, where Tony threw his parties, crowded with people. 

Your stomach filled with butterflies as you searched the crowd for Bucky. Unfortunately your eyes landed on your dad. He looked over to you, where you were standing with Nat and Wanda. He stormed over to you, "What the hell are you wearing?" he said, almost turning red. You searched for Bucky and your eyes fell on him, he was wearing his orange jumpsuit with prisoner written on the back in sharpie, which made you laugh. He was sat alone at the bar, probably waiting for you. And feeling kind of lonely, since he only really knew you and Steve. 

"I'm sorry," you said as you walked past your dad, you turned around, "In fact, no I'm not," oop badass move from Y/n Stark. You went over to Bucky. Still feeling your dad's glare on you, this fight was definitely not over. And you knew that he was going to cause a scene as soon as the party finished. 

"Can I buy you a drink?" you asked, Bucky's eyes flew up to you. You smiled at him.

"You look stunning," he said, wrapping his hands around your waist, "Like an angel," he whispered, tracing his fingers along your spine. AAAAA. Dead. 

Bucky bought you a drink before asking you to dance. There weren't really many slow songs to dance to on Halloween but Bucky was an amazing dancer. His arms wrapped around you made you feel safe. You never wanted to stop dancing. Unfortunately, you noticed your dad storming towards you. He held up a video of you and Bucky kissing in the kitchen, the night before they left, "What the hell?" he shouted. The attention of the room was now on you two, and the fight that was about to take place.

"Dad, let's not do this here," you said gently. You gestured for Bucky to leave, and he quickly moved away to stand hidden by the bar. You knew that if your dad saw Bucky he'd throw him out the tower almost straight away. And you couldn't let that happen. You'd have to take the heat for now. 

"I want you to leave the party," he said. Kind of a dramatic move. 

"Dad come on," you said.

"Don't you dare question this," he said, "Leave now," you looked at the floor to avoid him seeing the tears in your eyes as you walked past him. You felt people's gaze on you. This was gonna be hard to deal with tomorrow after all the news websites released articles on the fight that had just happened. 

When you got back to your room you took off the dress and pulled on Bucky's sweatshirt, his faint scent comforting you. You wiped off your makeup and pulled back your hair before turning on your tv. Hearing a knock at the door, you pretended to be asleep so you could avoid your dad. "It's me," you heard Bucky's voice on the other side of the door. A tear rolled down your cheek. You had no idea it was going to be this hard, and it was breaking your heart. 

You opened your door, "Bucky, my dad is going to kill both of us," you said.

"I don't care," he said, playing with your hair and pulling you into his arms so that your head was leaning on his shoulder. You just wanted to stay like that forever. Not care about what people thought about. You pulled away from him and turned around, so you didn't have to look at him. 

"I care, I can't do that to you," you said. He pulled you into his warm embrace as more tears started to escape your eyes. Being with Bucky this past week has been the best week of your life, you loved spending time with him, you loved when he called you doll, when he told you you looked beautiful, when he would let you wear his shirts. You loved him. You loved him. You loved Bucky Barnes. "Bucky," you said, pulling from his embrace, "I love you,"

"I love you too," he said.

You never wanted to leave him, but you knew that if you didn't your dad would send you back to his mansion in Malibu or kick Bucky from the tower and that shouldn't happen, especially not to him, not after all he's been through. "Bucky I'm sorry," you said, "But I can't ruin your life,"

"What do you mean?" he asked, tears glistening in his eyes.

"I think you know," you said, choking on your tears.

"No Y/n, please," he said, pulling you tighter into him, "We can sneak around, don't do this to me, I love you, don't let this go" you let go of him and kissed his cheek. You tried to get him to leave, and because he was so respectful and kind he stepped out the doorway. Allowing you to shut your door. As soon as you heard his footsteps further down the hall you broke down into tears. Why did you let him go?