The Feast

I probably looked like a mad man, going through each and every one of textbooks, viciously ripping out a certain set of pages. I can't believe they put that in a beginner level book. What the hell were they thinking? A growling like sound escaped my lips as I ripped another section of pages out of the book in my hands. I was too angry to even attempt to use alchemy to remove the pages. I was seething. I hadn't been this angry since the homunculi. Each time I removed the horrid sections of pages, I would crumple them into a ball before tossing them into the fireplace beside me as I reached for the next book.

I had just finished the last book with a sigh when I glanced up at the clock on the wall text to me. It was 6:55. "Shit!" I shouted about grabbing my red trench coat off the back of my chair and sprinting out of the room. I raced down the stairs, occasionally sliding down the railings just to go a little faster. Many of the portraits yelled from behind me, wondering where I was off to in such a rush, but I really didn't have any time to stop and chat.

When I got to the bottom of the stairs that were directly across from the doors to the Great Hall, I found Minevera standing with what looked to be about 30-40 students gathered around her. She was in the middle of a speech when I hit the main floor. She looked up at me, pausing in her speech.

"Professor Elric!" she exclaimed. All of the students, who, by their size, I guessed were first years looked at me with wide eyes. "You should have been here at least fifteen minutes ago, before all of the students entered the hall," she said, clearly peeved and even more disappointed.

"I know, I know, I know!" I nearly shouted as I pulled my coat on. "But I'm here now, aren't I?" I pointed out before pushing the doors to the Great Hall open. The chattering that filled the Great Hall quickly silenced as I felt hundreds of pairs of eyes on me. The complete silence was short as the students started to whisper amongst themselves. I jogged up the very short flight of stairs and quickly slid into my seat. At that moment, I was very thankful I didn't sit anywhere near Snape. No doubt he would have some choice words for me.

"'ey there, Ed," Hagrid whispered as the doors to the Great Hall opened once more. It revealed Minevera leading the frightened looking first years into the hall. "Ya alright?" he asked. I nodded stiffly as my hand massaged the area where my port met my flesh. The running around had not helped the previous pain I was feeling. It was aching, and at some points, it was throbbing. I'd have to write Winry if it got any worse. And possibly even talk to Dumbledore.

"Yeah," I muttered. "Got caught up getting stuff ready for classes," I explained. I saw him nod out of the corner of my eye. With a sigh, I rested my elbow on the table and my chin in my hand, waiting for the sorting ceremony to get under way. The year hadn't even truly begun, and I was already ready to be back in my own world with my family.

Harry's POV

Among the bustling, noisy atmosphere of the Great Hall, I sat at the Gryffindor table, Ron next to me Hermione across from myself. To say that we were still shaken up from the events of the Quidditch Tournament was the understatement of the century. Couldn't I just have one normal summer? Was that too much to ask for?

"Bloody hell, can we get started already?" Ron moaned from his spot next to me. "I'm ready to eat; I'm starving," he whined. I rolled my eyes at my best friend, knowing he had eaten on the train ride here. I know because I had bought him something off the trolley. It was something of a tradition since our first meeting on the train in first year.

"Ronald," Hermione said, exasperated. "You ate two hours ago on the train," she pointed out.

"That was two hours ago!" he exclaimed as if that was going to help his case at all. The brunette across the table opened her mouth to say something, but we were distracted by the doors to the Great Hall swinging open with way more force than Professor McGonagalll normally gave. All eyes turned to the doors.