9 || new companions

"I'LL BE JUST A MINUTE. Don't worry, I know the way back from here," I told Clarke. She nodded reluctantly and caught up with the others. 

"Be quick," Finn said to me as he tossed Murphy a knife before leaving with the others.

"What are you doing?" Murphy leaned up against a tree.

"I don't wanna go back there just yet," I simply said. "Why'd you do it, John? What happened to the semi-nice guy I met?" 

"You wouldn't understand, it's grown up stuff," He croaked. I hate when people say that.

"In case you forgot, I'm not dumb," I tore off a piece of fabric from my shirt and pressed it to the wound on my neck.

"Oh, sorry about that by the way," He gestured to my neck, seeming embarrassed, but quickly snapped into his moody state. "Go away, Tahlia. It isn't safe out here."

"Whatever, have fun on your own," I grumbled and walked off. I wanted to stop at the lake first since I was filthy from being dragged around all night long.

I remembered the way to the lake easily, the one that didn't have man-eating snakes. I made it there in no time. I took off my jacket and shoes before slowly stepping into the water. The lake was freezing cold, especially at night. I splashed my face, the freezing water refreshing my skin.

I scrubbed off my arms and face for a couple of minutes to get rid of the dirt and grime that had built up over the past few days. I was about to get out of the water when I could have sworn I saw a person hiding in the bushes on the other side of the lake. I looked a bit closer, just to check if I was seeing things or not. There was a person there, I was sure I wasn't hallucinating.

In the bushes, a tall figure was hunched over. I honestly couldn't tell if it was human or not. The figure wore lots of layers of clothes and armor, I couldn't see it's face properly. I was startled when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. 

A Grounder.

I quickly jumped out of the water, glancing back at the figure in the bush. The figure wasn't there anymore. My breaths were shaky and uneven as I stared at the Grounder. It was definitely human, and definitely a man. His head was bald and he wore Grounder clothes and armor, with some kind of paint over his eyes.

I was frozen in fear, I couldn't move. I saw the Grounder's eyes soften for a second and he inched closer. "Please don't hurt me," I managed to blurt out nervously. 

He grabbed my wrist and started to make a small cut in the palm of my hand, letting my dark blood be seen. I winced in pain, trembling in fear. "Natblida," The Grounder muttered in a language that didn't sound like English. He would have cut my hand to see my blood. Nat... Night? Blida... Blood. Nightblood. Something in my brain just clicked and it was easy to decipher his words.

"Nightblood?" I repeated shakily. Why didn't he kill me. And how was it so easy for me to understand the language?

The man looked panicked for a split second as if he was thinking the same thing. He let out a fierce grunt and took a sword out of his belt. The Grounder knocked the hilt on my temple, knocking me unconscious.

I woke up with a pounding headache. The last thing I remember was a grounder hitting me over the head. I was definitely not in the drop ship anymore. I looked around, trying to make sense of this unfamiliar place. It looked like some kind of cave. All over the walls were different trinkets, books, pieces of junk, just a lot of random stuff.