Chapter 5

"Chase?" I blurted out in surprise at the handsome boy towering over me.

"Indeed." He said happily, his smile causing my heart to beat a little faster..

"Sit next to me," I offered, patting the ground beside me. He plopped down beside me and pulled off his shoes too. "What are you doing here?"

"My home is not too far away and this is where I usually collect Kelloweed." He shrugged. "What about you?"

"Just trying to get out of the house. I'm taking a break from my walk right now," I confessed as I mercilessly plucked at the grass out of nervousness..

"Where are you walking?" he asked, skillfully keeping the conversation rolling..

"Nowhere. Just wandering the surrounding forest. I find it helps me clear my mind and think things through." Chase nodded, silently agreeing with me. "Ever felt cooped up?" I asked him.

"Nah, spent most of my childhood playing in the woods. It's hard to feel cooped up in a giant forest, but I still get what you mean."

"I would have loved a childhood like that," I said. "But I guess mine wasn't the worst either. At least I always had a roof over my head." Chase nodded.

We sat in silence for a couple minutes longer. Not an awkward silence, a peaceful one. I closed my eyes and smiled as the soft breeze rustled my hair and the water washed over my skin.

Finally Chase stood up. "I should be on my way now." I stood up too, brushing myself off and nodding in agreement. "It was great to see you again, Violet," he said in a soft voice. I looked up at him. "I hope to run into you again."

I waved goodbye to him as he disappeared behind some trees.

The walk home wasn't long, I hummed to pass the time and took in the wonderful scenery you couldn't find anywhere else but a fairytale world. When I arrived home, I found Poppy playing with her paper dolls again. The doll of herself was wearing an ugly green ball gown with too much lace. She had a doll of me, wearing a salmon dress but my doll was being kicked by the prince.

"I love Poppy! Get away from me hag!" Poppy said in a deep voice. I rolled my eyes and went to find Cinderella. Though her behavior was bizarre, I wasn't the least bit surprised.

I found Cinderella in her room, trying on one of the dresses we wanted to fix. The dress was a royal blue and had way too much fabric in the posterior area. It was far too big for Cinderella's slim figure but she still spun in the mirror and stared longingly at it.

"It looks a little large," I said, leaning against the door frame. She looked at me, startled.

"Oh, I was just, uh... I'm so sorry!" Her face was one of pure fear as she waited for me to verbally attack her.

"It's fine, you can have it. It just doesn't fit you is all." I noted and she smiled gratefully at me.

"Would you like to keep working on these dresses?" She looked around the room which was covered in dresses and heaps of discarded fabric. I nodded and we got to work.

Mother was home right as Cinderella finished setting the table. She pursed her lips but said nothing. As soon as Poppy heard Mother walk through the front door she dashed down the stairs, squealing and jumping up and down.

"A letter -- the Prince - oh a ball -- all invited -- I'll be beautiful!" Poppy hyperventilated. "I'm so excited!"

"I can't understand you Poppy. What is she trying to say, Violet?" Mother sighed in exasperation.

"A letter from the palace came, inviting us to a ball so the Prince can find a wife. It's in two months," I explained.

Mother nodded and cracked a small sinister smile. "One of you will be marrying the prince." She pointed to Poppy and I. "And I will make sure of it." Her last words could barely be heard but, as expected of a fairytale villainess, she blatantly showed her scheming nature to all.

Poppy nodded in agreement. "I won't let you down mother!" She spun around happily. "Soon, I'll be living with a hot prince and be the richest girl in the kingdom!"

I internally cringed. The saddest part was that she truly believed it.

"St-step Mother?" Cinderella's voice trembled. Her whole body tensed as Mother turned around to look at her.

"What?" Mother spoke sharply in such a terrifying way it gave me chills.

"C-could I go to the ball as well?" Cinderella murmured.

Mother laughed coldly as she opened the envelope containing our entry tickets. She carefully plucked one out and tore it to shreds in front of Cinderella. There were three remaining tickets now. "My, it seems there isn't a ticket for you. What a pity." Mother's eyes squinted at Cinderella with pure hatred and mock. A triumphant aura oozed off her making the room feel stiff and uncomfortable.

I had never been so scared and angry at a single person in my life. Cinderella's eyes glistened as she nodded, murmuring something about how it was a stupid idea and ran off to the attic. My first instinct was to follow and comfort her but one look at Mother told me it was a bad idea. Her cold stare was glued to Cinderella's back and any sort of defense I could give her would only backfire.

That night I pretended to be asleep and waited until Poppy began to snore so loudly it would make a whale sound like a mouse. The door creaked as it opened but Poppy's snoring masked it. Still, my heart pounded in my chest as I tried to walk through the house as gracefully as I could. Mother's door at the end of the hall sent shivers down my spine. I quietly tip toed up the stairs to Cinderella's room.

Gently, I knocked on Cinderella's door. No definite response came, only the quiet sobs of a heartbroken girl. I peaked my head through the doorway to find Cinderella, crying on the bed.

Cinderella sat up, startled. "Oh! Uh, hi Violet." Cinderella wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. "C-can I help you? I'm a little tired, but if you really want to work on the dresses we can."

I winced at her persistent selflessness. "I just came here to check on you. I'm sorry about mother."

Cinderella nodded and began to cry again. "I don't know why I even asked. I started thinking about going to those balls the moment I saw the letter. Maybe I should dream smaller."

"Pretty small and attainable dream, if you ask me," I mumbled, resisting the urge to laugh at the idea of singing "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes".

Of course she wouldn't let me go!" Cinderella collapsed onto her pillow and began to cry into it. "How could I be so stupid?"

I knew Cinderella would meet her Fairy Godmother and marry the prince eventually but at the moment she didn't know that. I couldn't tell her the future in case I'm burned as a witch but maybe I could still help her.

"Don't worry, I'll find a way to let you go," I promised.