It's Okay

Kai had been grumbling all the way down the path as they walked. He had been really riled up at the idea of catching Guan and it had been a large disappointment to have him slip through their fingers like that.

"It just feels like a waste of time," he complained, scuffing his feet along the rocks.

"It'll be okay," Sukara reassured him, in all honesty, she was just happy to be spending time with the people she cared about, after a few brushes with death she wanted to hang on to what she had. "we'll get him. If it's the next time or the time after that. Right? Tell him Asami, tell him we'll get Guan next time."

Asami didn't answer.

"Asami?" Sukara said, curious as to whether she hadn't heard her, "I said--"

Sukara turned to see what Asami was doing as she spoke. She wasn't that far away but she had stopped walking. She looked scared, like she had frozen to the spot.

"I think I might have taken a wrong step," she said, her voice shaking as she stared at her foot.

"What do you--?" Sukara began but she stop once she got close enough to see what it was.

Asami's right foot sat on a dark disc, a red light to the side of it. Sukara's heart froze as soon as she saw the explosive. It seemed to be pressure activated seeing as the mine hadn't gone off yet. This was good, it meant they had some time to think as long as she didn't move.

"It's okay," Sukara smiled the best she could as she edged closer, being careful to brush the surface of the ground with each step, "you're going to be okay."

"I wish I was in your head right now," Asami let out a shaky laugh as Sukara approached her, grabbing onto her arms for stability, "cause I really don't see a way out."

"Well that alright," Sukara smiled, taking a firm stance, ready for her next move, "because I do."

In on swift step, Sukara swung Asami round and off of the mine, replacing the pressure with her own foot so that they both didn't go up.

"What are you doing?" Asami asked, the panic in her voice raising as she realised what had just happened, "what's wrong with you?"

"If you push me off this thing we're both going to die," Sukara told her firmly as Asami grabbed at her arms, "so I need you to step back now."

"No," Asami said, her tone was serious and a little angry, "there is no way that I'm leaving you."

"It's okay Asami," Sukara gave her a soft smile, her face as calm as she could make it, "I've lived for 20,031 years, I've loved three amazing people, I've done great things and not so great things. I've had more of a life than most. You deserve that too, let me give this to you."

"There is no way I'm letting you do this," Asami told her firmly, not letting go of her.

"Kai, please take her back," Sukara told Kai as he stood just behind Asami, tears on the edge of his eyes as his face betrayed his fear.

"You think I'm going to let you do this?" Kai asked, disbelief all over his tone, "no way. We're getting you off that thing."

"You can't Kai," she snapped at him, her fear getting the better of her, "if I get off it'll explode, I'm not risking you guys as well."

"You can't," Asami blurted out at her, "Kuvira needs to ask you something."

Sukara paused for a second, waiting for Asami to continue but she didn't, "well what is it Asami? I don't really have the time to go and see for myself."

"She had to ask you something," Asami said, standing her ground as she finally let go of Sukara, "I can't tell you."

"Why not?" Sukara asked, her voice was frustrated.

"I just can't," Asami said, shaking her head, "you're going to have to get off that alive and ask her yourself."

"Asami," Sukara warned, getting more annoyed the longer she stayed standing where she was.

"You should know, it's really important," she shrugged, looking away from her, "like really important, she's wanted to ask you this for ages."

"Damn it Asami."