Chapter 31

Iroh led Zuko and Suki to the ship, where they were met by Izumi and Mai.

"Zuko!" Mai threw her arms around her husband.

Zuko hugged her back, closing his eyes as he smiled, "I missed you Mai."

Izumi scooped up Suki, "Don't you dare do that again young lady."

"Princess Izumi," Iroh said in case anyone could hear them. He bowed, "Please, don't be too hard on Princess Suki, she saved mine and your father's lives."

Izumi frowned and glanced at Suki.

Suki smiled.

"We will be talking about this later," Izumi said firmly, before hugging her daughter tight.

"Let's get you below deck to warm up," Mai said, leading Zuko below deck.

Izumi followed with Suki.

Iroh stayed above deck, wanting to follow, but knowing he shouldn't.

When the Royal Family disappeared below deck, Iroh's friends all came running above deck.

"Ro!" Cho shouted.

Iroh laughed when he was bombarded by a group hug.

He did his best to hug them all back.

"We saw the Fire Lord with his family," Kayoda said. "We wanted to make sure you were okay."

"I'm fine," Iroh smiled.

"Good," Cho smiled. "I would've killed you if I lost my brother."

"Thanks buddy," Iroh hugged him.

The group looked to the building as they heard the thundering footsteps of the soldiers.

Commander Bumi led them with Zun right behind him.

They boarded the ship.

"Where's the Fire Lord?" Bumi asked.

"He's below deck," Iroh said. "He's with his family."

Bumi nodded. He headed towards the end of the deck, shouting orders and the soldiers began scrambling.

Within five minutes, they were off.

"Set a course for the Fire Nation!" Bumi ordered.

Zun saluted and ran for the helm.

The rest of the soldiers went to do their own things once they were done preparing for the voyage.

"Iroh," Bumi said firmly before the young man could join his friends below deck.

Iroh glanced at his group, who looked at him worriedly. He sighed and turned to the Commander, giving him a salute.

"In my cabin," Bumi said. "Now."

Iroh nodded and headed for the cabin.

Bumi nodded to the group before following Iroh to the cabin.

He closed the door.

Iroh looked at him, "I'm sorry. Suki ran in there, I didn't want her getting--"

Iroh cut himself off and wrapped his arms around Bumi when the man hugged him.

"Thank you for keeping your sister safe," Bumi said.

"Of course," Iroh smiled.

"Your going to be a great General one day," Bumi said.

Iroh snorted, "I doubt I'll make it to General."

"Don't sell yourself short," Bumi said, pulling away. "When I was your age, I wasn't even in the United Forces yet. Everyone, even my parents said I wouldn't do much with my life, now look at me: Second highest rank in the United Forces, a beautiful wife, and two fantastic kids."

Iroh smiled faintly, "I'm glad you made it to where you are. I'm proud of you."

Thanks kiddo," Bumi smiled. "I'm proud of you too. Keep the family business alive."

Iroh felt his heart drop, "What?"

Bumi sighed, "Once we're done. I'm more than likely getting reprimanded for this. There's high chances I'll be discharged."

"But you saved the Fire Lord and the Royal Family, won't that account for anything?" Iroh asked urgently.

"Unfortunately not," Bumi sighed. "I went against the Council. I'll be lucky if I make it through with only a year of jail time."

"Can't Grandpa Aang or Uncle Tenzin do anything?" Iroh asked.

Bumi scoffed, "My Dad will agree that I should be punished and Tenzin would love just to see me get what I deserve."

"That's ridiculous!" Iroh spat.

Bumi shrugged, "Unfortunately that's how it is."

Iroh crossed his arms, "You don't deserve that."

"Unfortunately it's in the United Forces rules," Bumi sighed. "I'll have to turn myself over so I can hope to get off easy."

Iroh nodded faintly.

"You can go," Bumi sighed. "I just wanted to thank you."

Iroh looked at him.

"I should get this place cleaned for when I get thrown out. Make sure you help the family while I'm gone."

Iroh nodded faintly.

He hugged Bumi again.

Bumi closed his eyes, patting his back.

"I love you, Dad," Iroh muttered.

"I love you too, Little Dragon," Bumi smiled.

Iroh let him go after a moment and walked to the door.

He headed down the stairs and below deck.

Iroh went to his families room.

He stopped, finding his jacket hanging on the door handle.

He grabbed the jacket and sighed, he was hoping his grandfather would return it to him, not leave it for him to find.

Iroh slipped the jacket back on and headed for his room.