Rock Bottom

The cabin creaked softly, it was a mild night compared to most, Cotton chopped away happily at dinner, as he sat and ate on the floor near the small pen he'd made to keep the rabbits in for the night

The cabin creaked softly, it was a mild night compared to most, Cotton chopped away happily at dinner, as he sat and ate on the floor near the small pen he'd made to keep the rabbits in for the night. "Thanks for bringin' them in they didn't like the cold." Cotton said reaching in the feel the rabbit's soft fur. Chyna giggled, "Sure, we couldn't have them cold." She said out of the corner of her eye Chyna glanced at Cap, he knelt among a pile of wood planks. Sorting through them chucking the bad into the fire and keeping the good off to the side, he seemed lost in it.

"Cap, those planks can wait till tomorrow. Your supper is gonna freeze wait'n on you." Chyna called to him. "I won't have time to sort through them tomorrow morning. I've got morning patrol, Need to take you down to see Clint and Iris before we head out to teach ya how to shoot, I told pa I'd go out and do some huntin for the family... I need to finish the crib..." Cap said, he hardly looked away. "So work on the crib, why sort out planks for the rockin' horse if you ain't started the bed? or do neither - Cap it's a long way away," Chyna said, she couldn't fight the smile that stretched across her face. Cap was excited about everything, his mind keeping him months into the future, while she could hardly see tomorrow.

Cap rubbed the back of his neck, " Ma Pa says I should be ready to be ready, says the time goes by fast if you ain't careful..." He sighed, he could feel heat rush to his ears and cheeks, " and...because you're doin' everything else. Alls I can do is things like this..." Cap murmured. Chyna chuckled softly, "oh Cap," she sighed. going to him she stopped him from sorting through the wood planks. "not after dark you not. You stretch yourself too thin and you'll be worn out before the baby even comes. that's when you can really help, that's when I'm gonna need you more than ever." Chyna said.

Cap frown slightly, "This thing, this thing between Hatfields and McCoys gotta end before it gets here Chyna. I can't it tied up in all this, it ain't it's war - the feud its- its getting meaner all the time." Cap said quietly. he let his hands rest against Chyna's stomach. "hell...I'd like there to be some family left for it to see - even if they ain't all too happy 'bout it." Cap sighed. Chyna fussed at Cap's hair and he closed his eyes, resting his forehead to hers. "it'll work out, let's face it, everyone left is too stubborn not to be around after. Anse ain't goin' nowhere...Your Uncle Jim...there isn't a grave deep enough for him to stay in, Lias is too lucky, Judge Wall to Ornery, Johnsey is well....Johnsey.  and Cotton's with us." Chyna reasoned.

"Yeah, We'll all be here when it comes...I get to hold the baby when it comes, before the others right Chyna?" Cotton asked with a grin. "Of course Cot, even before Cap." She laughed, "Not a chance in hell." Cap said quickly,  Chyna and Cotton giggled, It was just another slow day and the feud was still going strong, but in these walls, they had their peace.

------------------------------------------------------------

Sussie stood with a confident smirk stretched sourly across her face as she stood before a scowling woman. "what business has you got here lady - you folk ain't welcome in these parts. these parts is for us." Carla-Joe hissed, resting her hands on her hips. Sussie was unfazed by the woman's snarling eyes. "Oh put them quills down little porcupine," Sussie said waving away Carla-Joe's anger.