Chapter 87

"Please tell me you have something," Tony said impatiently as he entered the workshop. He flew around the city all day, trying to find any clues, but Mary seemed to fall to the ground. And he really tried not to panic, but given the situation, he didn't succeed. Not at all. After all, the psychopath had his son and wife! Well, not a wife, but a girlfriend. The point remains the same.

"I'm doing what I can, but she's somehow managed to bypass the satellites. I hate to admit it, but she's really good. However, even the best will always make a mistake in the end. She focused so much on more advanced technology that she forgot about ordinary public cameras. The last camera caught her coming down from the seventies in the south. Probably somewhere in the woods or something. We have to look there," she replied, and Tony could rest for a moment. It wasn't the exact location, but at least it was something. And it was possible to work with it.

"Great, we'll leave now. Where's Bruce?" he asked, noticing that Natasha was here alone.

"Upstairs in the living room and listening to the best selection of classical music. He started to get a little nervous here, so I had to get him out of here," she explained.

"Okay, so hurry up. We'll meet there."

•••

"Prepare everything for me for the test. I want to try the first spider today," Mary ordered her team, and when she received their approval, she went to the room with her precious guest. "Look at you. What a victim. I bet you only think the worst of me now, don't you?" she asked with a contemptuous smile. She didn't know the worst about her yet.

"What else should I think of you?" The redhead snapped. During her imprisonment, she tried to figure out in her head what she could have done differently so that she would not be here. So that Peter doesn't be here.

"You are obsessed with control. I don't understand how you can live with Tony. We both know very well that he has never been and will never be under control. But I turned a little. You're the CEO of a big company, so I understand your obsession. You're not alone, I have it too, but do you know the difference between us? I know exactly what will happen before it happens. So I don't have to ask unnecessary questions. Like why I lost my baby," she said mysteriously, then laughed evilly. She loved playing with people.

Pepper studied her for a moment, trying to figure out what she meant. "What?" It was all she could say. She felt paralyzed.

"Here is the thing. Do you want to know the answer to your question? Your child did not die naturally, but with a little help from a stranger's hand. Mine! I couldn't let your happy family meet, so I arranged for you to lose your baby. How mean, right? I bet the next question you're asking is - how? How could she know I was pregnant? Well, that's a question I won't answer, my dear Pepper. I want you to think about it," she grinned. It was so easy to hurt someone's feelings. So easy that she almost stopped enjoying it.

"You're a monster!" she cried. She didn't want to show weakness in front of her, but how could she not, after what she had just told her? This woman killed her baby and kidnapped her son! How could anyone be so cruel?

"That didn't affect me in any way. If it comforts you, you have my admiration. Respect it, too many people don't get it. I thought it would get you on your knees. That you will collapse and you will not recover from it. But you just had to move on, didn't you?"

"That doesn't really comfort me," she snapped angrily. If she wasn't chained, she would jump on her and strangle her herself. And she didn't care if she went to jail for it. Especially if this woman would be out of their lives.

"Don't be ungrateful. As I said, it's an honor for you," she said kindly, walking closer to her so she could play with her a little. But at the same moment, a silent alarm went off on her cell phone.

"I bet you didn't expect this," Pepper grinned for a change as she noticed her expression. She could only hope in her mind that Peter got out and managed to escape. She also hoped he didn't know she was here because she knew he wouldn't have left without her. And she didn't want that. Peter will always be a priority for her. That was the parent's fate.

"But please don't be silly. It doesn't suit you," she snorted, glancing at her, "why do you think I haven't killed you yet?" she asked, but didn't give her room to answer. She left her alone in the room. "Quentin, take her. When I give you a signal, you'll go out with her," she ordered as she entered the door where Quentin was standing, as she had told him.

He just nodded and disappeared into the room. Mary walked over to her desk, from which she pulled out a magnum 500, her favorite toy. Then she just waited, knowing that if Peter wanted out, he would have to go through the main labs.

"Oh, oh, I don't remember allowing you to go for walks," she said when he did show up on the other side of the room.

"It's over, Mary. I'm leaving," he said in a firm voice.

Mary laughed. "Really? And how do you do it? I would suggest that you return to your place."

"Or?" he asked. This was his only chance. If he goes back there, he'll never get out again. They won't let him run again.

Mary said nothing and just aimed her weapon at him.

"You won't hurt me, you need me," Peter said calmly.

"True, but if I remember correctly, I said that if you made trouble, something could happen to your loved ones," she reminded him, keeping her eyes on him.

"I'm not a fool, I know you're going to hurt them anyway."

"You can't be sure. I always act as the situation requires. Would you really like to risk it?" she asked, her eyebrows raised.

"Go to the hell, Mary," he snapped, walking confidently toward her.

He had the courage, she had to admit that. "Fine, your choice. Quentin! Time for a family reunion," she shouted, lowering her weapon, which she then aimed at someone to her left.

Peter followed her hand, his heart skipping a few beats when he saw the pair coming out the door.