Chapter 46

The rest of the class went by as Professor Ezra had them team up with the person they were sitting next to, so they could practice non-verbal spells. One was supposed to try and disarm their component without speaking, and the other was supposed to defend themselves non-verbally.

So Professor Ezra asked them to get to their feet before swishing his wand effortlessly, and causing the tables and chairs to magically float to the sides of the class, making enough space for them in the middle.

When Alexandra and Regulus got to their feet and stood before one another, Regulus was hesitant at first.

"What's wrong?" Alexandra mused, gazing at him.

Regulus smiled nervously. "Well... I — I can't fight a lady. It's not good manners."

Alexandra giggled, but then in a quick motion she gave her wand a swish, saying, "Expelliarmus!" and causing Regulus's wand to shoot out of his hand and falling a few feet away.

"You were supposed to do it nonverbally!" Regulus retorted, though he was grinning.

"I know." She shrugged, smiling. "But I just found the opportunity perfect to prove that I don't mind fighting a gentleman," she said cheekily, making him laugh.

At the end of the class, none of them managed to do it perfectly, but they all still felt good about their progress in their first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson.

The sixth years at Hogwarts had a lot to look forward to in the upcoming months, including their Apparation lessons and exam near the end of their year there.

The sixth year students were given many free periods between their classes which they were extremely happy about, but they soon came to learn that it was in fact not so they could rest, but to have extra time to do their homework and study.

     The rest of their classes went all right that week and Alexandra found herself enjoying it all. Herbology was as fascinating to her as always, and of course Care of Magical Creatures was still her favorite subject, even though not many others had decided to have it.

      Alexandra didn't have to pick Potions this year and that was a big relief to her. Although it seemed that Regulus favored the Potion class among all others. He had always been talented when it came to brewing and had been one of Professor Slughorn's favorite students, being part of his Club.

     But Alexandra on the other hand had come as close to the Slug Club as Professor Slughorn had come to learning her name. Although she didn't mind this in the slightest.

     "What do you even do in the Slug Club meetings?" Alexandra asked Regulus one day as they were sitting in the Great Hall.

     It wasn't the meal time, but Alexandra had joined Regulus at the Slytherin table in one of their free periods to write their Transfigurations essay on human transformation.

     Over the last month at Hogwarts, Alexandra and Regulus had been spending more time together than ever before, while Mike was away at Quidditch practices. He was working his team harder than ever, determined to win the Quidditch Cup for Ravenclaw this year.

     Alexandra went to watch Mike's team practice once or twice in the past month under his request, even though she wasn't really a big fan of the sport and never quite understood it. So Mike didn't insist on her to come down to the Quidditch pitch too often.

     On those many occasions that Mike was busy with his team, Alexandra would join Regulus for the day; whether they studied in the library or in the Great Hall, or went for strolls through the castle and the Hogwarts grounds. But their favorite place to go and study was the Room of Requirements.

     "Hmm..." Regulus pondered Alexandra's question in his mind for a few seconds as they were sitting at the Slytherin table in the Great Hall, before saying, "We don't do much in the Slug Club meetings, to be honest. Just talk."

     "Who else is in the Club?" Alexandra mused. She was glad to have found a distraction from her homework and took the opportunity to talk to him.

     "He either gathers people with famous relatives or those who are top at his class. There is... Dirk Cresswell, Theodor Nott, Jenna Potter, the Evans girl, Gwenog Jones used to be there before she left Hogwarts, and a few others." Regulus shrugged carelessly. "Although Slughorn does bring well-known witches or wizards every now and then to the Slug Club meetings."

     "Really?" Alexandra raised an amused brow at him. "Like who?"

     "Like Barnabas Cuffe; he's an editor of the Daily Prophet," he explained. "Last year he brought Eldred Worple —"

     "Ooh, he's the author of My Life Amongst the Vampires!" Alexandra exclaimed, clapping her hands together in glee. "It's actually an interesting book."

     "Yeah." Regulus chuckled at her reaction.

     "Oh... well, now I wish I was at the Slug Club for the first time," Alexandra said with a little smile dangling at the edge of her lips as she let out a small dreamy sigh.

     "Actually I think there's something we can do about that..." Regulus said in a small voice.

    "What?"

     "Well, Slughorn always throws Christmas parties on the last week before we go home for Christmas break," he explained. "Everyone comes to his parties; celebrated authors, important Ministry officials, Potion investors... everyone!"

     "Whoa!" Alexandra gasped, making him chuckle again. Everything got her excited easily like that.

     But then Regulus cleared his throat awkwardly, continuing, "And... well... the Slug Club members are always invited too and — um — they're allowed to — um — bring — dates. And — er — you can come with me this year if you like."

      Alexandra's heart leapt. She gaped at him with surprise in her eyes. "I —"

     "I-I mean if you like," Regulus stammered nervously, looking down. "You know... as friends."

     "Oh..." Alexandra's face fell at those words.

     Although before she could answer and agree to it, their attention was caught when they saw Mulciber and Avery sit only a few feet away from them at the Slytherin table, casting nasty glances at their direction.

     This wasn't the first time Alexandra had noticed their glares following them around. But they weren't alone. All Slytherins had been looking at her in a strange way, although to her surprise none of them dared to say a word to her about it, unlike many others who used to tease her in the years before.

     "Alex," Regulus whispered, catching her attention again and causing her to look away from the two Slytherin boys.

     "Yes?" she said, trying to distract herself from their nasty glares.

     But Regulus's grin made her forget about what was going on in the world around her once more.

     "What do you say?" Regulus repeated himself quietly, a faint smile playing on his lips. "Would you like to come to the Christmas party with me this year?"

     "Y-yes." Alexandra felt herself blush as she nodded. "I would love that."