Sirius Black and Surprise Visitors

Hermione's breathing was shallow and uneven.

"How-could-they?" she choked. "How could they?"

"Come on," said Ron, whose teeth seemed to be chattering.

They set off back toward the castle, walking slowly to keep themselves hidden under the cloak. The light was fading fast now. By the time they reached open ground, darkness was settling like a spell around them.

"Scabbers, keep still," Ron hissed, clamping his hand over his chest. The rat was wriggling madly. Ron came to a sudden halt, trying to force Scabbers deeper into his pocket. "What's the matter with you, you stupid rat? Stay still-OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" Hermione whispered urgently. "Fudge'll be out here in a minute-"

"He won't-stay-put-"

Scabbers was plainly terrified. He was withering with all his might, trying to break free of Ron's grip.

"What's the matter with him?"

"Crookshanks!" Hermione moaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

But the cat was getting nearer-

"Scabbers-NO!"

Too late-the rat had slipped between Ron's clutching fingers, hit the ground, and scampered away. In one bound, Crookshanks sprang after him, and before Harry, Estella, or Hermione could stop him, Ron had thrown the Invisibility Cloak off himself and pelted away into the darkness.

"Ron!" Hermione moaned.

The three looked at each other, then followed at a sprint; it was impossible to run full out under the Cloak; they pulled it off, and it steamed behind them like a banner as they hurtled after Ron; they could hear his feet thundering along ahead and his shouts at Crookshanks.

Harry, Estella, and Hermione almost fell over Ron; they skidded to a stop right in front of him. He was sprawled on the ground, but Scabbers was back in his pocket; he had both hands held tightly over the quivering lump.

"Ron-come on-back under the cloak," Hermione panted. "Dumbledore-the Minister-they'll be coming back out in a minute-"

But before they could cover themselves again, before they could even catch their breath, they heard the soft pounding of gigantic paws. Something was bounding toward them out of the dark-an enormous, pale-eyed, jet-black dog.

"Guys! I've seen that dog. We've got to go!" Harry reached for his wand, but it was too late-the dog had made an enormous leap, and the front paws hit him on the chest; he kneeled over backward in a whirl of hair; he felt its hot breath, saw inch long teeth-the dog rolled off him as Estella cast a spell. She pulled Harry to his feet as the dog's jaws fastened instead around Ron's outstretched arm. Harry pushed Estella behind him and lunged forward, he seized a handful of the brute's hair, but it was dragging Ron away as easily as though it were a rag doll.

Then, out of nowhere, something hit Harry so hard across the face that he was knocked off his feet again and backward into Estella, sending them to the ground. Harry positioned themselves, so he took the brunt of the fall, forcing Estella to land on top of him. She heard Hermione shriek with pain and fall too.

Harry's breath fanned out across her face. Estella had to force herself to stop staring at his lips while Harry didn't even hide the fact he was staring at hers. She was sure Harry could feel the rapid movement of her heart. The space between the two was nonexistent. If she leaned down any further-

"Guys!" Hermione hissed.

An embarrassed Estella quickly rolled off Harry, advertising eye contact. She never wanted to kiss anyone more than at the moment.