Chapter 15

Warning - some sexual content in this chaper...

Sophia's POV

That evening as Knox was finishing up some pack business, I decided to take a bath and get ready for bed. As I sat back in the warm water trying to relax I reminisced over the day's events.

Holy cow, what a day. Normally I would be freaking out at this point...

First the attack and me finally pulling up my big girl panties and not cowering in fear for once. I mean seriously where the hell did that come from?

Then standing up before most of the pack and simultaneously taking Craig down a peg or two and spilling my life story. Again, I hated to speak in front of anyone, let alone hundreds...maybe I need to have my head examined. Either that or I have had my body possessed by aliens.

When I first woke up in the hospital and after Jane explained this new world I was dropped into, I requested that those who knew my story, to keep it to themselves.

I was utterly ashamed and embarrassed of what I allowed to happen to me and Ella. I didn't want anyone else to know. I was tired of people looking at me with pity. There were only a few who understood my situation, those who assisted with picking me up and the hospital staff that helped me. So for my sake, Knox commanded them to keep any and all information pertaining to me and Ella to remain quiet.

I never really understood the ramifications of that silence. What a fool I have been. I really need to stop thinking all about me, and start focusing on how my mate is doing. How all this changed his life too.

Here was this great and powerful Alpha, who was a wonderful leader, loved by all his people; being brought into question all because we have not completely mated. His status as an Alpha seemed to be casted with a shadow of disgrace, and the virility of his manhood was found lacking. I mean really people don't you think you are overreacting just a bit?

From the outside looking in that one element would seem absurd, who in their right mind puts that much emphasis on sex? But once you start to understand the concept of pack life, that notion no longer seems as ludicrous.

The entire pack worked as a one unit. Everyone had their place and responsibilities that allowed the pack to function as a whole. The center of the unit was based on protecting the essence of it...family.

Mates were considered the most sacred and cherished of all other elements that made up a pack. Once the bond was formed, only death could break it. Most shifters waited until they found their mates to have sex. Especially females. Keeping yourself pure and only giving yourself to your mate was an unwritten rule.

During the many conversations that Jane and I have had, she always pointed out that this was the number one difference between humans and shifters. This belief of waiting for your soul mate was uncommon now a days in the human world, but was considered absolute in the shifter world. The churches would love these people. They took abstinence to the extreme.

It took me a while to wrap my head around that one. I have come from a world, my world, where the man I pledged my love and trust to destroyed me. Physically, emotionally and mentally. I almost lost my faith in love and was determined to never allow another man to get that close.

So this concept of your true soul mate; your true other half was a big pill to swallow.

At least that is what I originally thought. That was until I got to know Knox and other mated shifters. The bond was undeniable. Mated shifters seemed more happy...grounded...complete...whole...loved.

Even though I seemed to fight against it constantly, my bond with Knox was there. I couldn't ignore it no matter how much I wanted to. It was there in the way he treated me. The way he took care of me. Held me. Supported me. And dare I say the way he...loved me?