Chapter 28

Bethany's POV

It was a spur of a moment kind of thing when Harry had convinced me to call out of work today. His reasoning being that 'I am the boss, and that I can go to work when I want and when I don't want'. The reason was actually very valid. I had teams of people who prayed for more work, so when I gave Vanessa the list of tasks they needed to complete, I felt all the pressure on my chest be removed. Why didn't I get people to do more before... I payed them to do work. They wanted to do work...

It was currently 9:30, and I had already showered while Harry used a guest bathroom to shower himself. My body was covered in a big, plaid shirt that went down to midthigh and a pair of spandex underneith. My damp hair hung around my face as I walked down the stairs. I had this weird habit of counting each one everytime my feet would touch each stair. 21 stairs to be exact. Each one was always cleaned to perfection due to the team of maids that came weekly. My house always seemed to be kept completely tidy...

The more I thought about it, the more I was constantly confused my the largeness of the place. I had lived here for two years, and I still hadn't gotten used to the size of the place. The grand design of everything was overwhelming. The size was too much, though it was a lot smaller than the house I had grown up in. The house I hadn't been in since the morning of the accident. The last place I had seen my parents alive. The last place I had a memory with them.

It was a place I never wanted to revisit, yet a place I couldn't let go of. No one had been in it for two years. It had remained untouched, the only people going on the property were the gardeners. And even they didn't dare take a step inside the house.

The water was still running upstairs, letting me know Harry was still busy in the shower. Instead of walking into the kitchen to cook breakfast, I went to the wall in the foyer that held one of the last pictures of my parents and I together. It was our Christmas card, but it meant so much more now.

The house was decorated beautifully. The extravagant poles were decorated with lights and the doors had giant wreathes attached to them. But the best part of the picture was the happy smiles on my parents faces. I had said something funny, both of them smiling down at me. It wasn't posed, it was all very natural. I remember them laughing for a good three minutes after I had spoke. Nothing seemed to put them in a bad mood that day.

The place in the background was nothing to me anymore. It was a place that held memories that I didn't want to get rid of, but I also didn't want to revisit them. They were too painful to think about. There were so many parties and happy times that happened there. I had baked cookies with my mom there for the first time when I was four. My dad had taught me how to ride a bike in that driveway. They both had so many effortlessly good memories with me there, but that's all they were. Memories.

"That was them?" His raspy voice scares me a bit, making me jump. He gives me an apologetic smile, kissing my temple.

"Yea. That was them." I tell him.

"They look lovely Bethany." His comment warms my heart. My arms wrap around him, bringing him closer to me.

"They were. And that means more to me then you will ever know." His lips press to the top of my head, kissing my chastely.

"Your house was huge." He comments and for some reason, I find myself laughing.

"Haven't been in there since the day they died." I whisper out, slowly disconnecting from Harry and taking a step closer to the wall so that I can look at it better.

"Why haven't you been?"

"Too much pain. Physically hurts to go anywhere near that house. It's been untouched since their death. I just don't have the heart to do anything with it." I shake my head, taking a step back and turning to face him completely.