Vol. 4: The Little Mermaid

//TW: Destruction of collector/hoarders things, collector/hoarder panicking about said destruction, manipulation, hypnotism, mild gore (describing injuries), almost drowning, fire, shipwreck, death//
Word Count: 28,105
(A/N: bolded parts of Ariel's writing are the parts he's scribbled out, as Wattpad doesn't have the slashthrough feature)

~Once Upon A Time~

In 1800s Denmark, there were two kingdoms, practically on top of each other. The strange thing was, only one knew the other was there.

King Triton's kingdom, and Prince Eric's kingdom. King Triton and his people were overly aware of the existence of Prince Eric's kingdom, but the prince's people were woefully ignorant. This seems rather impossible, but it becomes perfectly logical when a simple fact is taken into account:

King Triton's kingdom was completely under the sea.

The people of his kingdom were all merpeople, while Prince Eric's were human. The merpeople were very happy with their lives, not very interested in the world above the waves, except for one.

Triton's youngest child, and his only son. He was absolutely fascinated by the humans, and loved learning everything he could about them.

Which was rather aggravating such as in moments like this, right before a concert.

The hundreds and hundreds of Atlantica's citizens were packed into a grand music hall, waiting for the king to arrive and the concert to start. Eventually a small orange seahorse appeared and blew on a tiny horn for their attention. When they quieted down, he shouted, "Now presenting, his Royal Highness, King Triton!"

The crowd roared with applause as the ruler appeared in a huge clam shell pulled by two dolphins.

He rode through the concert hall brandishing his glowing trident as his subjects cheered. As he passed under the coral stalactites, the glow of his weapon triggered a sort of bioluminescence. The coral lit up the entire hall was brighter. Then Triton took his place on the ledge above the rest of the crowd, overseeing it all.

The crowd went quiet again and the seahorse shouted, "And presenting the distinguished court composer, Horatio Felonious Ignacious Crustaceous Sebastian!"

A much smaller chariot appeared, a hermit crab shell pulled by two angel fish, holding none other than the famed composer, waving to the crowd as they again cheered

When Sebastian passed by Triton, the mer-monarch grinned. "I'm very excited about the song tonight."

The crab nodded, smiling. "Yes, this may be the greatest performance I have ever composed! And your daughters will be wonderful!"

"And Ariel?"

Sebastian smiled and nodded, starting to be pulled to his composer podium. "Oh yes, he has a beautiful voice!" He frowned softly as he was pulled out of earshot. "If he showed up to rehearsal every once in a while..."

The instrumentalists were tuning their instruments as Sebastian approached. When he pulled out his conductor's baton they went silent and stood at attention.

After a silent count of three, he started conducting, and the musicians went to work. The concert hall was suddenly filled with the sounds of the instruments as three large clam shells, all closed, rose to the stage.

Sebastian smiled to himself, and suddenly the shells opened, revealing Triton's daughters. They all smiled at the crowd, and then they began to sing.

"~We are the daughters of Triton. Our father who loves us and named us well! Aquata!~" The eldest of them rose up from the shell, singing a scale of notes. "~Adrina~" She rose up, singing a higher scale of notes. "~Arista! Atina! Adella! Alana!~" Each princess rose up and sang their own scale, each a bit higher than the last. They all joined in harmony again, circling around the third shell. "~And then there is the youngest in his musical debut. Our seventh, little brother, we're presenting him to you! To sing a song Sebastian wrote, his voice is like a bell, he's our brother Ari-" The music suddenly stopped. The clam shell had opened, and it was empty.