Nothing

Laying on the grass, the warm sun lingered on my skin

Laying on the grass, the warm sun lingered on my skin. It felt comfortable, like a warm blanket enveloping my entire body as I just laid on the grass in the garden of the house. The clouds came and went. Turning into different shapes and passing by, moving on.

Everything seemed to be able to move on. Yet here I was, right back to the beginning. I couldn't believe what was happening right now. I couldn't believe Ace was alive. I felt a relief but at the same time, I was angry. Deep down, I always felt like he wasn't gone, that he would one day just come back and I would give him everything he had left me. Despite my feelings, I tried to move on like how everyone told me to. It took me time, a lot of time to move on. But now I was back to where I first started. Confused, shocked, angry, and scared.

I wasn't sure how long I've been out here. All I could think about was my encounters with Liam for the past few months. Him being the closest thing I had to a friend, actually, even more than just a friend. But the fact that this was all a lie. I get up and notice the sun starting to set. It's probably been a few hours, but to me it felt like seconds.

Walking back to the front door, I noticed David's car parked at the front which meant he was here. I opened the door and walked to the living room where to my surprise, everyone was sitting.

Dr. Ashley, Molly, David, and him, Ace.

Molly had tears in her eyes and David was just surprised. I'm guessing they were told the news...

As soon as I walk in, everyone turns to face me. No one says anything.

I clear my throat and try my best to say strongly "I'm ready to talk" making eye contact with him

Molly, David and Dr. Ashley all get up leaving the room to give us privacy. David stops and places his hand on my shoulder mouthing "are you okay?"

I nod my head and he gives me a soft smile, leaving the room.

After standing there for a couple of seconds, I sit beside Ace on the sofa, facing him.

I don't look up at him but just look down, avoiding eye contact. He finally breaks the silence.

"Alexandra, I'm sorry. I never meant to hurt you-" I cut him off with a question

"What do I call you? Ace or Liam?" I ask looking up to meet his gaze

He's a bit taken back at my question. He looks away and lets out a breath and doesn't answer. I guess he didn't think this through...

I continue speaking, "Tell me why" I say softly with hurt in my voice

He turned his head to face me and noticed the tears in my eyes. He takes a few seconds and finally, he starts from the very beginning. He tells me why.

He starts his story even before the airplane accident, before I had even met him.

"My life held a certain routine. My whole world used to revolve around work, and being successful. That's all I cared about. It wasn't even that I cared, I just had to care.