Chapter 47: Dead Men Tell No Tales IV (Asking Questions)

A/N: The "November rush" continues! This is the first update for today (11/10/2020). There's a second one!

 There's a second one!

LORELEI

SOMETHING DID not feel quite right in Clark High. Ilang araw pa lang ang nakalilipas, pakiramdam ko'y malaki na ang pagbabago rito. Maybe I was just exaggerating. Or maybe I was just getting emotional. I was starting to think that it was no longer the school that I used to know when I transfered here.

Maggie's death might have had the most impact among them all. Nasanay na akong nakikita siya lagi sa execom office o nakasasalubong sa hallway at nagbabawal ng mga pasaway na estudyante. Now the corridors felt empty without her presence. Bumaba rin ang morale ng mga execom member mula nang mawala siya. They skipped their duties and they no longer reported to the office.

Rosie's planned disappearance also changed the atmosphere in the classroom. She's still alive though, but her presence meant so much not only to me, but also to my other classmates. Parang nabawasan ang "kulay" sa klase namin. Despite who she was and what she did, I kinda missed her morning greetings and her wide grin whenever our eyes meet.

Loki's absence also made me feel that something was off. Oo, lagi kaming magkasama sa apartment, pero iba pa rin ang feeling kapag 'di namin naaaninag ni anino niya sa campus. It felt like the puzzle was missing a huge chunk of it.

"Are you not coming to school today?" tanong ko pagkalabas ng aking kwarto matapos magbihis at mag-ayos. It's already six-forty and he hasn't moved on the couch since I found him there.

He shook his head slowly in response. He was still covered in blanket. His hair was a mess and his eyes looked tired. I updated him yesterday sa meeting namin kay Hel. I told him what we told his self-proclaimed daughter, if I could borrow that phrase. He seemed not that interested in the discussion. Tumatango siya at napapa-"oh?" minsan. Walang kinang sa kanyang mga mata, 'di gaya dati.

Nagawi ang tingin ko sa folder na nasa mesa. I wanted to talk to him about it, pero mukhang wala pa siya sa mood. Ni hindi nga niya ako tinanong kung bakit ko isinulat ang pangalan ni Jaime Santiago sa sticky note at inilagay sa gitna ng web. He seemed to have lost his enthusiasm in everything.

But I trust that he'd regain it soon enough. In due time, the old Loki would be back to his usual self. I'd see again the sparkle in his eyes as he starts to make deductions about a case.

Normally I would have told him to get his ass off the couch and prepare for school. His absence, while totally understandable, might take a toll in his academics. But for now, I'd let him be. Mabuti nga't nakalalabas na siya ng kanyang kuwarto at kumakain na rin kapag tinatawag ko. That's already an improvement in itself.

Gaya ng nakasanayan, dumiretso ako sa execom office bago magsimula ang aming morning period. The door was already opened, but no one was inside. I wandered around the room, trailing my fingers across the round table. Napansin ko ang picture ni Maggie na naka-frame at nakalagay sa taas ng cabinet. This wasn't here before. Malamang nilagay ni Rye o ng iba pang execom member bilang pag-aalala sa dati naming chairwoman.