Ch130 - He means what he says.

The situation was truly odd. No matter how unrestrained Kang Shengzhe was, he did not dare to address her according to her suggestion. Bai Yan stared at him for a long moment. Seeing his complicated expression, she stopped teasing him and laughed: "Fine, let's eat, let's eat. Since it's the first time you're visiting, the chefs did not know your preferences. However, the benefit of having numerous dishes is that we have every flavour of food; pick the ones you like, when you come back next time, I'll ask them to make the ones you prefer."

"Alright..."

The fact that she even stated that he could come and visit again made Kang Shengzhe feel overwhelmed by the immense favour she had granted him. For him, Bai Yan was not just the lady who represented the starlight and resplendence of an era, she was Liang Liang's mother. While he could joke with Bai Yao, he only had a heart full of veneration and apprehension for Bai Yan.

After that particular conversation ended, the four people in the dining room picked up their chopsticks one after another to use their meal. However, at this time, the impractical aspects showed; there were too many dishes on the table and the table was too long. Rather than a family gathering, it was more similar to that of a self-service buffet suited for a rich and powerful family where you had to stand up and walk a distance to grab the food that you wanted to eat.

Bai Yao was well at home; she was not stingy with herself as she walked everywhere. You Liangxing had matters in his heart so he only picked some of the food in front of him and ate a few mouthfuls. On the other hand, You Ming and Bai Yan did not eat at all as they stared at the unmoving Kang Shengzhe. Under their stares, Kang Shengzhe trembled and faltered as he received the full plate that Bai Yan had grabbed for him but he could not swallow his food.

Basically, it was human cruelty.

With a pair of delicate and beautiful eyes which was constantly glittering like it was a reflection of moving sunlight, Bai Yan stared at him insistently. Noticing that he was eating little, she assumed that he did not want to eat anymore and she could no longer hold herself back from asking: "Xiao Kang, where do you come from? A native of City A?"

Kang Shengzhe said: "Yes."

"I heard you were Xiao Liang's schoolmate, what do you study?"

Kang Shengzhe replied: "Chinese Language and Literature."

Bai Yan said: "Chinese language is good. When I was schooling in the past, there was a period of time where I thought the atmosphere in the Liberal Arts College was excellent, and it was a lot better than those science and engineering faculties. Xiao Liang is studying Economic Management you see, and now he's just like his father, pulling a long face every day."

You Ming interrupted her, "When have I pulled a long face in front of you?"

Bai Yan pretended not to hear him as she continued to speak: "How are your studies usually? Students admitted into A University have good results for the most part, right, is the food in school palatable?"

Her conversation topics concerned domestic trivia that an ordinary family would talk about. While the assortment of inquiries in its bits and pieces overwhelmed Kang Shengzhe, the intimacy in her tone could not be feigned.

You Liangxing and Kang Shengzhe would occasionally exchange gazes during the feast. While they had relaxed silently, they were still confused. Compared to the terrifying scene of interrogation at the door just now, the overly swift acceptance gave rise to equal amounts of fear and trepidation.

Kang Shengzhe responded: "En, it's all quite good. University A has a very conducive environment, and Liang Liang frequently takes care of the people in school."