| viii: the cold pickup |

"Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love

"Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love." - Mother Teresa

" - Mother Teresa

Jaipur, India

It was half-past seven in the morning when I woke up from my sleep. I woke up from a dreamless sleep to glimpse at the glowing and radiant sun peaking above the horizon, visible from the balcony. It extended its vivid light across the blue sky. Its dazzling and inviting rays flowed through the window, providing warmth to my body.

Slowly, the fatigue of the long journey was seeping out of me as the welcoming rays trickled inside, replacing my unrest; it relaxed my body. Eventually, I got out of bed and stumbled across to the other side of the pull-out couch to head towards the washroom to get ready and freshen up.

When I came back, I saw that Vihaan was not present in the room. Perhaps, he went down for breakfast. I quickly got ready as I had to go to the hospital. As I was heading towards the dining hall, I saw Viraaj Bhai standing in a corner, talking to someone over the phone in hushed whispers.

I slowly walked towards him when he whispered 'I love you' to someone. I tapped on his back, startling him, and his phone went down and kissed the floor. Thank God it did not break.

"You scared me, Akanksha! Why did you crawl behind me like that?" Viraaj Bhai asked me in a half-exclaiming and half-scared tone.

I raised a brow. "Whom were you talking to?"

He was conflicted, which made him look even more suspicious.

"S-She was my girlfriend," he stuttered.

I glared at him. Viraaj Bhai didn't dare look at me and found a new interest in the patterns of the marble floor.

"What?" I was surprised at the revelation but more amused that he was trying to hide the fact that he was dating someone.

"The person whom I was talking to was my girlfriend. Aadya," he repeated, scratching the back of his neck.

And that's news. Never had I imagined that such a stoic police officer would be so nervous in confessing that he had a girlfriend.