Chapter 47: Dead Men Tell No Tales V (Veiled Threat)

A/N: This is the second update today (11/10/2020)! Expect more double updates this November rush!

LORELEI

STEIN ALBERTS was grinning at me. Why does he always appear out of nowhere? I'm starting to think na may lahi siya ng kabute na pasulpot-sulpot nang hindi mo inaasahan. Kagaya sa hospital noong binisita namin si Luthor doon. His appearance there was the last thing that I had expected.

It would have been perfectly fine if his presence only brings us annoyance. Seeing his face, hearing his voice. We can live with that inconvenience. But the fact that he's standing before me might mean bad luck. I'm not a superstitious person, but we knew what happened in the hospital after we crossed paths with him on the fifth floor. Maggie met an accident later on. I'm not saying that he's a harbinger of doom, but I was starting to think that way.

What's worse? He overheard me speak the name of Jaime Santiago, the founder of the group and his predecessor to the crown of the elusive Moriarty. Mukhang doble ang malas ko ngayong araw.

"Why do you and your friends always look starstrucked whenever you see me?" Stein asked in a nonchalant tone. "Hindi naman ako isang celebrity, pero bakit parang nakakita kayo ng super sikat na artista? Do you admire so much that I left such impression in you? I might be underestimating my charms."

Parang celebrity? More like a ghost. Kapag nakakita ka ng multo, maninigas ka sa kinatatayuan mo, mamumutla hanggang sa mawalan ang kulay mo at hindi ka makakaimik nang ilang segundo. That's exactly what happened to me. I meant no disrespect to ghosts. I know it's unfair to compare them to him.

"Maybe we're not that pleased to see you," I replied, trying to maintain my composure. Ikinuyom ko ang aking mga kamao para manatili ang tapang ko.

Iba ang pakiramdam ko ngayon. In our previous encounters, I always had someone with me. Ngayong ako lang mag-isa ang kaharap niya, sobrang tense ng atmosphere sa faculty room. Parang sumisikip ang dibdib ko. This may sound like an exaggeration, but he's sucking the life out of me. Ganito ba kalakas ang aura niya kapag wala akong kasama?

"I feel the exact opposite! I'm pleased to see you or anyone in your group," he replied. "By the way, I wanna extend my condolences. I may have nothing to do with Margarette's death, but I still feel bad about her accident. Gone so soon."

Did he also feel the same with his victims? I wonder.

"But you haven't answered my question, Lorelei," he called my name in a way that brought chills down my spine. Again. "Why are you interested in Jaime Santiago?"

Kaya ko pang malusutan 'to. Mabuti't hindi nalalayo ang pronunciation ng pangalan ng magkapatid. "I wanna know if my friend Jamie is doing well in her Math subject. Wala namang masama sa pagiging concern sa grades ng kaibigan, 'di ba?"

Natawa si Stein, sinuklay ang kanyang bangs gamit ang kanyang mga daliri. "Nice try, Lorelei, but try harder next time. You mentioned specifically—and I quote—the late student council president. Your friend Jamie is neither the president nor is she dead already. Also, Sir Morayta isn't her Math instructor."