Chapter 10: The America Singer Part Two

Elise's dress wasn't what I thought it was going to be. I suspected something with less fabric and more low cuts. It was silly of me to assume Elise would dress like that, it doesn't seem her style. But just because a dress didn't show off certain parts of my body, didn't mean it wasn't gorgeous. It was black and flowing, ending short in the front mis-thigh, and drifting down to my calves in the back. It was sleeveless, the edge of the fabric resting on the surface of my shoulders, nothing past that. Although the front wasn't low, the back made a very deep dive.

"Elise, this is beautiful." I tell her and she smiles toward me, Michael resting a hand on her hip.

Hand on hip. Sign of affection.

"Thank you, Cordelia. You look absolutely stunning. Oh yeah!" Elise adds with a grin. "No makeup tonight." She tells me.

My smile disappears. "What? Why not? Elise, I can't go without makeup-"

"The picture they displayed on The Report was gorgeous. You weren't wearing any makeup. Cordelia, trust me."

And I did. Why shouldn't I? There was no reason not to. She had a boyfriend, one who looked completely obsessed with her. Elise was obviously doing something right, and I would be an idiot to not take her advice. There are times I can admit to myself that other people are more advanced than me. But that's how I learn. I learn from those people so I can become just as good. Elise didn't know, but I was currently her protégé.

I slip on my white heels before walking toward the door.

"Have fun, Cordelia." Elise grins and Michael smiles down at her, a worshipful gaze in his eyes.

Oh yeah. I was definitely keeping an eye on them. Once both princes look at me like that, I'll know I reached the finish line.

***

I wait a little longer to enter the dining room so Prince Harlan catches sight of me. We needed to talk, and I'm sure he'll want to talk after seeing me tonight. If not? I'll just wait it out. One way or another he will approach me.

I walk into the dining room and every head turns toward me.

I make myself blush. "I am so sorry. I was awfully tired and I fell asleep, losing all sense of time." I curtsy quickly. "I'm sorry your-"

"There is no need to worry, dear."

I look up and see Queen Hero sitting at the head of the table with her husband. "This is only dinner,"

I smile sheepishly and walk quickly to my seat. The only flaw in my plan was that I was further away from the princes. Of course the girls that got here earlier were going to sit the closest to them. But I wasn't going to let something as silly as a seating arrangement mess with my plan.

"We already went around the table getting to know each other," King Everette smiles. "Tell us about yourself?"

I dared a look over at Prince Harlan, and if I could smirk I would. He couldn't take his eyes off me, and the only reason I knew it wasn't because everyone had their eyes on me was the look behind them. Michael gave the same look to Elise when she mentioned this same dress.

Attraction. Lust. Want.

All the things that trigger the brain to love.

"My name is Cordelia," I say and act nervous. I don't want to be known as the attention seeker. "I guess I like to write." I look up at the King and Queen, and they both look so welcoming, so genuinely happy to see me, I felt almost ashamed for what I'm doing to their children.