Say Yes

It had been a long day and the sun was almost set. The torches placed along the walk ways were being set alight as Kuvira and Sukara climbed to stair to the balcony of the Fire Nation Palace. Kuvira had asked if they could go somewhere, just the two of them, and she had been delighted when Sukara suggested up there. The view was incredible and the warm glow of the torches made the perfect atmosphere for what she wanted.

"You're not taking me up here to shout at me are you?" Sukara asked, joking a little bit but she remembered the frown on her face when they had told her about the mine incident.

"No, I'm not angry with you," Kuvira smiled down at her feet as she got to the top of the stairs and stepped out onto the balcony, "you care about our friends, you're willing to risk your life to save them. You're brave, I like that about you."

"Must have been strange that it was Asami," Sukara chuckled, reminiscing on their times together, "I'm usually saving you."

Sukara stopped and leaned on the railing as she watched Kuvira from behind. She was looking out at the view, her hands resting on the wall in front of her.

"You're making a habit of that," Kuvira said, a slight laugh in her voice as she quoted herself.

There was a pause as Kuvira waited for Sukara to say or do something, she heard the little laugh and some shuffling of feet so she waited for Sukara to come over but she didn't.

"Do you want to see me do it for the rest of our lives?" Sukara asked, her heart was beating fast as Kuvira turned.

Kuvira felt like her heart was going to burst as she saw her there, knelt down on one knee. A small box in her hand with a ring inside.

"Don't joke," Kuvira said, tears of happiness threatening to fall from her eyes.

"I'm not," Sukara told her, struggling to contain her smile and nerves as she waited for the answer, "will you marry me?"

"Yes, of course, yes," Kuvira exclaimed as she came down into Sukara's arms leaving them in a heap on the floor.

The hug didn't break as Kuvira pushed herself up a little so that her face was just above Sukara's. She dipped down and kissed her, Kuvira wanted to be soft but it ended up being more passionate than she expected.

"I'm sorry I pushed in on the talk you wanted to have," Sukara mumbled against her lips, pulling back a bit as she took the ring out of the box and put it on Kuvira's finger, "I just thought this would be more important."

"No, it's fine," Kuvira smiled, leaning down and kissing Sukara again, "we wanted to talk about the same thing anyway."

"Really?" Sukara asked, her smile widening if that were possible.

"Yeah, so I feel like I need to explain this," Kuvira said, a wide smile on her face as she pulled a cuff bracelet out of her pocket, "when I talked to Korra about it, she said you didn't know what a betrothal necklace was but your a Water Tribe native so I wanted to do something like that for you. So, I thought about it, and you don't tend to wear jewellery anyway, but you will wear one of these occasionally. So I made one with water tribe markings on it."

Sukara smiled at it as Kuvira held the metal cuff in her fingertips. She looked at it a little closer and she recognised something familiar.

"That's my family's insignia," Sukara said, pointing to one of the markings on the cuff.

"Really?" Kuvira frowned, turning the cuff so that she could see it too, "is that a problem? I can get rid of it."

"No, I like that it's there," Sukara smiled, putting her wrist at the edge of the opening so that Kuvira could put it on her.

"Do you like it?" Kuvira asked, stroking the bare skin on Sukara's arm just below the betrothal cuff.

"I love it."

"Does that mean you'll marry me?" Kuvira asked jokingly as she watched Sukara admire the metal cuff.

Sukara laughed, resting her hands on Kuvira's legs, "No," Sukara said sarcastically, still chuckling as she spoke, "at the wedding, you have to be there but I'll stay home, I'll see you after."

Her joke made Kuvira laugh, she buckled over and leant her head on Sukara's shoulder.

"Of course I'll marry you," Sukara smiled into her ear, almost whispering as she lifted Kuvira's face so that she could place soft kisses on her lips, "I would want nothing more."

Sukara sat up, knocking Kuvira into her lap, and kissed her again. She deepened it as much as she wanted to because this night was for them. Anyone waiting to speak to them would have to wait until they decide that this moment was over.

End of Book 3