chapter one

"Are you sure its not poisoned?"

Mawra glared at her brother as he made faces at the plate which she has placed in front of him, "eat." she said firmly, waiting eagerly for him to taste her food and give some honest review before anyone else woke up and tasted it. She is not a great cook but is on the way to become at least an edible one.

"What is this by the way?" Ahil gulped nervously as he eyed the food once again. Mawra's frown deepened at that, "I don't know, okay. Just eat. It's my own creation."

"Please Mawra. Anything but this." the poor boy groaned in annoyance. Mawra frowned at him and took a spoon of whatever she cooked and forcibly made him eat. Ahil chewed it with great difficulty and gulped a glass of water almost immediately and now it was his turn to glare at his elder sister.

"You should be banned from entering that kitchen. What the hell was that?"

"Was it that bad?" a sheepish smile played on her lips as she poured him another glass of water, he snatched it with a huff, "bad is not the word I'd like to use here."

Mawra's face fell at that. She wanted to master the art of cooking so badly but guess its not her cup of tea. Ahil's face softened at that sight, "chill Mawra. Its alright, not everyone can cook. You're doing a pretty amazing job at your office. Your future husband should see that, not your cooking skills. We are living in the twenty-first century."

"I'm pretty sure when you'll be married ammi will search for a bride who knows how to cook well. These things just don't change you know." she sighed exasperatedly while taking away the plate and threw it in the bin. Her mother is going to kill her for wasting so much food. But it is what it is.

"Let's see about that but don't ever enter the kitchen, please. People are going to talk no matter what. Don't let them get to you." Ahil patted her back with a grin, as though he was her elder brother and she the younger sister, she just shook her head with annoyance.

"You wouldn't know this feeling until you get rejected by some random auntie just because you couldn't cook," Mawra muttered to herself as she cleared the mess in the kitchen and walked into her room to have a bath.

After taking a quick glance at herself in the mirror, she wore her wristwatch and a sheepish smile formed on her lips as she eyed what time it was and eagerly waited for the screaming to begin

After taking a quick glance at herself in the mirror, she wore her wristwatch and a sheepish smile formed on her lips as she eyed what time it was and eagerly waited for the screaming to begin. As though on cue, her mother began to yell.

"Who wasted this much food? Mawra! Mahira? Ahil?" Rashidha Hussain's loud screech was heard from the living room and Mawra knew she was gone.

"I did not ammi." Mahira, her younger sister yelled from the opposite room and Ahil, who knew everything remained silent. With a nervous smile, she walked downstairs with all her stuff and met with her mother's fuming eyes.

"I asked you not to try anything stupid, look at the waste you've created."

"Ammi, I'm sorry okay. But how can I learn without trying?" Mawra kissed her mother's cheeks, who calmed down a little bit. Her trick somehow worked, thankfully. Otherwise, her mother would have gone on and on about wasting food and its cons.